I'm TA'ing an undergraduate organic chemistry course next year

TechnoDonut

Contributor
Veteran XX
But the university is making me sign a contract stating, among other things, that I will:

Refrain from any intimate relationships with students in your course assignment

Refrain from any bias in relating to students or grading papers of students in the your course assignment

They don't really mean that do they? What if I luck out and get a lab full of busty sorority girls?

Seriously, though, I'm excited. Should be fun :). Anyone here ever TA or teach in college?

surely you've never seen chemistry students before

we had like 3 girls in the entire chem department

I TAed the standard Calc 1-3 series during undergrad over three semesters. The girls became fewer and uglier with each progressing semester.

surely you've never seen chemistry students before

we had like 3 girls in the entire chem department

It's organic 1, second semester chemistry. Anyone in any biological science or related field has to take it so that includes biology, chemical engineering, dietetics/nutrition, chemistry, biochemistry, etc. There's plenty of attractive young bodies.

Orgo? You may get a bunch of offers of sexual favours from guys and girls both for better grades. I know that's how I got my A.

Spoiler

Orgo? You may get a bunch of offers of sexual favours from guys and girls both for better grades. I know that's how I got MY A.

I rolled on orgo, man. Not sure why it has such a reputation. Granted I'm older and spend hours every day studying...

i TA'd freshman chemistry labs. I had like 10-15 kids, mostly nerds but there was a group of 3-4 sorority girls. Unfortunately they belonged to the ugly/fat sorority.

I was a pretty chill TA though, as long as they showed up and put in some effort I'd grade their lab reports really easily.

But the university is making me sign a contract stating, among other things, that I will:

They don't really mean that do they? What if I luck out and get a lab full of busty sorority girls?

Seriously, though, I'm excited. Should be fun :). Anyone here ever TA or teach in college?

Enjoy getting kicked out of school pending sexual harassment lawsuits.

My friend was a stat TA @ OSU and lost his job and got kicked out of school when the chick he was fucking turned him in out of spite.

Orgo really wasn't that hard, but I studied a decent amount. I think I got like a 100 on one test. But I was still not close to the top in my class, all the fucking asians were impossible to beat. I still got an A though so whatever.

lol orgo1 for non majors is a joke. you're gonna have a lot of pharm students and idiot pre-meds who don't know shit about chemistry.

orgo for majors was intense. our labs used to run past midnight because they wanted perfect product and i had to recrystallize so much.

For better or worse there's not a major/non-major split at my school. Everyone is lumped into the same class.

lol orgo1 for non majors is a joke. you're gonna have a lot of pharm students and idiot pre-meds who don't know shit about chemistry.

orgo for majors was intense. our labs used to run past midnight because they wanted perfect product and i had to recrystallize so much.

then u dont know what you are doing fool

I've been a TA for three different "colleges" within our university: Engineering, Health & Human Development (gym), and Letters and Science, for several years.

I had some awkward situations in the HHD classes, which involved physical contact with students, some of whom were plenty attractive, but of course it is just not acceptable for anything inappropriate to be going on.

Nothing similar ever occurred in the chemistry or engineering classes.

Although I did have an incident one day where some normally good students were screwing up constantly in a chemistry lab. The cause turned out to be a well-endowed student wearing revealing attire working across from them, providing some distractions. It took some very careful wording to fix the situation, for both the two guys and the lady in question.

There are only 2 attractive girls in any of my chem engineering courses, out of a class of 60ish.

I doubt you have to worry about ChemE being your big draw for attractive undergrads.

I TA'd for the History department at Texas Tech for two years while I was working on my Masters. Being a TA is what made me want to remain in the teaching profession because I love interacting with students and watching them make progress as the semester continues.

Definitely watch out for the succubi students though. They'll definitely try to use their attractiveness for their own purposes, and I've seen a few instructors dabble too much in student relations and it never ends well.

You'll have a blast though. I was a very chill TA. I never used a podium, and I would always sit on the table at the front of the classroom and more hold discussions than lectures.

Back