[nerdsqueal] Ridley Scott To Direct Alien Prequel

Noumenon

Veteran XX
Ridley Scott To Direct Alien Prequel | /Film

In May, it was revealed that commercial director Carl Erik Rinsch was attached to direct a remake of Alien. We have since learned that it is more of a prequel than a remake. I was one of the few people actually interested in Rinsch’s involvement. Rinsch’s commercials show an amazing sense of imagination, visual effects artistry and composition (we’ve profiled his amazing commercials on the site). But apparently 20th Century Fox wasn’t happy with the Scott’s choice of director, holding out for the original helmer — Ridley Scott.

At the time I believed that would never happen. Why would Scott return to film a prequel of the most popular sci-fi film franchises of all time? Why compete with yourself? Producing the film seems like a much safer bet. Who knows why, but Ridley Scott has signed on to direct a prequel to Alien.

The film will be a direct prequel to Scott’s original 1979 film. This leads me to believe that the film will tell the story of the crew of the empty ship that is discovered in the first film. In a 2002 interview, Scott wanted to return “to where the alien creatures were first found and explain how they were created.” Chances are this idea would also be incorporated into the reboot. Jon Spaihts will write the screenplay, a job he earned after pitching the studio and production company Scott Free. Spaihts has no produced credits, but has written Shadow 19 and Passengers, both of which are also sci-fi space thrillers.

Strangely, I feel a lot different about this project now that Scott is at the helm. Not only is Scott experienced, but he has done this before. So why is it that I feel less comfortable with Scott at the helm than an experienced commercial director? Maybe it is fear that Scott won’t be able to create something better than the original. Maybe it is fear that the film will be too much like the original, and I would have liked to see a completely different take. And maybe it is that I just don’t understand the idea of a filmmaker returning 30 years later to film a reboot.

And maybe it is that I fear that a Body of Lies-era Ridley Scott won’t produce anything close to the level of the original feature. I don’t think I’d ever want to see Martin Scorsese to film a prequel/reboot of Goodfellas. I expect a lot of the /Film commenters will disagree… so please explain to me why I should be excited about this.

Don't mind the authors whining because he's being silly. :D

BackToTheFutureII.gif

Carl Erik Rinsch makes some sweet commercials: would have been interesting to see a full movie from him

The only interesting angle, which they won’t take, is if they explored the whole bio-mechanical aspect of the Aliens (using Giger’s artwork as a foundation) and their development as an instrument of war between other alien races - and not fucking Predators!

The only way you could introduce humans into the storyline is if they were sucked through a wormhole to a galaxy completely removed from our own, "on all the surveyed planets we’ve never encountered a lifeform, that ingests inside a living host and has acid for blood" or whatever that line was in Aliens.

What about a pack of scientists reanimating fossils in a remote island, er I mean planet. Now that would be a fresh look at the Alien franchise.

Carl Erik Rinsch makes some sweet commercials: would have been interesting to see a full movie from him

I'm thinking that Rinch will still be involved since he was supposed to direct the Alien Prequel and Fox demanded that Scott direct, not produce as was originally planned. Also, Scott has said Rinch is "in the family" since he is dating Scott's daughter. Either way, its going to be better than those shitty AvP movies.

The only interesting angle, which they won’t take, is if they explored the whole bio-mechanical aspect of the Aliens (using Giger’s artwork as a foundation) and their development as an instrument of war between other alien races - and not fucking Predators!

The only way you could introduce humans into the storyline is if they were sucked through a wormhole to a galaxy completely removed from our own, "on all the surveyed planets we’ve never encountered a lifeform, that ingests inside a living host and has acid for blood" or whatever that line was in Aliens.

I'm hoping for the tie-in to the original movie with the giant spaceman. The comics have had some interesting ideas for the origin of the "Alien" species and the harsh environment that caused them to evolve into what they are.

Yeah, the comics 'tried' but I don't think they fully grasped the organic mixed with mechanical aspect of what Giger created.

Pilot.jpg

best of luck to them trying to integrate the 'space jockey' into the movie while preserving the imagery already set down by the film let alone Giger's design.

The way I always looked at it was that the alien ship was really just a transport, shipping a batch of Alien eggs to where ever and one of the buggers somehow managed to hatch (or perhaps a stowaway), take out the pilot/navigator, and probably ended up taking out the rest of the crew (if there was one, but they didn't exactly look through the ship very thoroughly). For evidence that it was a transport, when they found the eggs, they were all in that lower "hold" area under that beam of light. The light was either some form of containment, a form of preservation (in case the eggs actually have a shelf life), and/or a warning system (you see the light, back the hell away).

My theory is that the race that used the Aliens either found them or engineered them to act as builders to create organic/mechanical designs (my main evidence of this is the ship itself, it looks a lot like what the Aliens created in the second movie when left to their own devices). The Navigator is a similar construct (either a created or mutated being) fused to the ship to control it fully (similar to Pilot and Leviathan in Farscape). This race however didn't take the aggressive nature and intelligence fully into account and their little workers escaped and got the better of them.

This doesn't rule out the possible military applications though. I just think that the "hive builder" idea isn't thought about much. If this race tinkered with, or at least had some control over, the Aliens then it's not much of a stretch to get them to build according to some sort of template. A little like how bee hives can actually be shaped in various forms and the bees will happily build around the shape (seriously, there a whole bee made art business).

Unfortunately it's unlikely we'll get anything remotely like that.

Yeah, the comics 'tried' but I don't think they fully grasped the organic mixed with mechanical aspect of what Giger created.

best of luck to them trying to integrate the 'space jockey' into the movie while preserving the imagery already set down by the film let alone Giger's design.

I don't think the comics tried at all to incorporate any bio-mechanical aspects Giger created other than the Alien's bio-mechanical look. Giger created the form but I don't think the Alien was ever supposed actually be bio-mechanical. If anything the comics built off of the sequel, Aliens which kind of established them as an insect-like species with a queen and a hive.

The comics were interesting stories and I don't really want to see them in movie form. The cool stories were about the hive dynamic, how the queens are made, the evolution of the species and what it had to compete with. The comics also had a story about who the "space jockey" was and it was kind of retarded. It was loosely based on what Ridley Scott theorized "space jockeys" were but not put together very well. There was also a whole nightmare inducing power that the Aliens had that let you know they were near, which was also really gay.

At any rate, Ridley Scott will hopefully shit-can some of the bullshit conflicting stories and the movie to movie changing biology of the Aliens and be bizarre and scary.

I am pretty excited, I love the Alien franchise aside from AvP. I even thought Alien Resurrection and Alien 3 were good even though they got panned by critics and viewers.

Back