t-586311 italian style beef [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

italian style beef

MadBoFo
06-21-2009, 07:47 PM
so when I went to Chicago a while ago I had a wonderous delicacy, the italian beef sandwich and I have decided to embark on a quest to replicate this taste in my test kitchens.

Here's what I've got so far, a 4 Lbs sirloin tip roast rubbed with garlic powder, dry oregano and some fresh cracked pepper and a little splash of water (maybe a tablespoon)

I'm going to place that in the oven @ 350 for about 30 minutes a pound (very very rare)

that will be allowed to cool whilst I talk those pan drippings, add them to some boiling water along with 2 beef bouillon cubes, some worcestershire sauce, tabasco sauce, loads of garlic finely minced thyme and more oregano and some cracked pepper and allow it to simmer for a while until the flavors marry.

after that I'll taste it to see if it needs any salt (I doubt it will)

and then take the beef from earlier which has cooled by now and slice it on the trusty meat slicer paper thin (just got a new prosciutto blade) then add those slices to the sauce and allow it to marinate over night

then that will be placed on the stove at a low simmer to heat through, spooned into some nice crusty italian sandwich rolls will will be dipped in the sauce.

I have just begun this undertaking so here is the only pic I have so far.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2u9nvjd.jpg

updates coming soon :sunny:

creative
06-22-2009, 07:58 PM
?????

MadBoFo
06-22-2009, 08:10 PM
ok last night I got a little involved in trying to make dinner for last night some of the roast, mashed potatoes, brocollini, and a mushroom gravy while I was still preparing the italian beef.

it was prepared as listed above (in the first post)

today the meat had finished marinating and I just had a sandwich on a nice italian crusty bread...

let me tell you this recipe rocks

seriously better than the italian beef I had in chicago (which is no small feat)

http://i42.tinypic.com/32zu9zm.jpg

I took my bread, split it lengthwise about 3/4 of the way through

put a slice of provolone into it, added the beef from the gravy and wrapped in tin foil and set in the oven @ 400 for about 10 minutes or so (maybe closer to 5?)

then dipped the sandwich into the gravy and poured the rest over the top and enjoyed

as far as measurements...uh...

the roast, rubbed liberally with the ingredients listed above, maybe a Tbsp or more of each? it was well coated.

the gravy?

2 cups boiling water
2 bouillon cubes
maybe 2 Tbsp minced garlic
maybe a 2 Tbsp worcestershire
maybe a Tbsp tabasco
Tbsp thyme
Tbsp oregano
and obviously the pan drippings simmered for um...a while? at least 30 minutes or so

the beef placed in the freezer to cool and facilitate the slicing

then the beef placed into the simmering gravy for ten or so minutes, put in a container and refrigerated overnight.

next day, put some gravy and beef into a pan and simmered then served as I listed above

I can work on more accurate measurements but a lot of the stuff I do is to my taste and not really for measuring :sunny:

Raven
06-24-2009, 06:53 PM
**** looks awesome

mofo whats your kitchen look like? pretty advanced?

Xion
06-24-2009, 07:37 PM
did you get your italian beef at portillo's when you were in chicago?

MadBoFo
06-24-2009, 08:41 PM
**** looks awesome

mofo whats your kitchen look like? pretty advanced?

it's a pile of ****, I can't wait to ****ing upgrade it **** the goddamn cook top can't stay on a low temp without going out it always ****s up sauces that are delicate....I do have some good tools though. A slicer, food processor, cordless stick blender, really good knives and pans, a kitchen aid mixer with a ton of attachments.

did you get your italian beef at portillo's when you were in chicago?

yeah portillos and al's italian beef as well.

Mr_Rabies
06-24-2009, 09:53 PM
my mom's from chi town
she makes good italian beef

though she buys it preroasted and sliced and just has a good gravy for it
she puts dried cayenne pepper seeds and no tobasco though
though i usually add a small amount of hot sauce of some variety to it because i like it spicier
nom

MadBoFo
06-24-2009, 09:55 PM
tell your mom my recipe and see what she says, also give me hers :sunny:

Xion
06-25-2009, 08:28 AM
figured. I live in Chi and portillo's italian beef is one of my favorite things in the world. Hope you had Giardiniera on it. If not, pick some up at your local grocer and toss it on your next sammy. Yum.

MadBoFo
06-25-2009, 10:46 PM
yeah the italian beef sandwiches are awesome, I just tried my best to replicate the flavor...I think it worked pretty well.

christy010
06-27-2009, 07:15 PM
The bread itself is often dipped (or double-dipped) into the juices the meat is cooked in, and the sandwich is typically topped off with Chicago-style giardiniera (called "hot") or sauteed, green Italian sweet peppers (called "sweet").

|Blitzkrieg|
07-02-2009, 12:42 PM
(Semi-related) Just got back from Italy, and possibly the best dish I had there was a beefsteak from a restaurant in Rome. Not actually sure what all they used for it, but holy **** it was tasty!