Budget gamers pc

will check. i'm putting together a box for a friend also. if anybody finds any good deals, pls post.

Yeah that hd is dumb, it's not even SSD and only 74gb. I can fill 74gb in a week's worth of torrenting.

You are a very nice brother though.

Yeah, the HD choice is too small in this day and age. Need a 500 gigger so he can put all his music and pictures on there. I have an extra 74 gig Raptor sitting in my closet collecting dust.

Graphic Card

The ATI Radeon 4770 (brand new) beats the shit out of the 9800gt and it up on par with the 4850. Its $109 compared to the $140 of the 9800 GT.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R477D5-512H-B Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

HD4770-48.JPG

HD4770-47.JPG

edit: even with that cpu/gpu combo you stated above, this gfx card is still alot cheaper.

$120 for cpu
$110 for gpu
---------
$230

Last edited:
That motherboard supports Raid. I would consider RAID 1. Get two cheaper hard drives for redundacy.

Not only that you end up with more space and it would cost around the same or a few bucks more then that raptor.

There you go. Cheaper video card and its better. Money saved there can be used to get two large HD's for RAID 1. :D

For the raptor: I set up his old comp with a 500GB sata hdd for his music,movies, ect. That will be traveling to his new PC.

This raptor will be for the OS, maybe 1/2 games only. I can definitely tell the difference between a 10000rpm and a 7400rpm drive on my computer.

edit:
thanks, I will look into the video card, i take it ati has improved, havent used them since the 9800pro/ 800xt series.

Last edited:
buy some nice 120mm quiet fans and passive gpu cooler and he'll thank you.

i have the same case with low noise fans and a passive gpu cooler and it is nice and quiet but still keeps cool when playing games.

the case only comes with 2 fans, so buy the other 3

My CPU has a Radeon 3200 onboard and I have been looking for a better card... does that 4770 do audio over HDMI? I output the vid/audio thru HDMI for 7.1 movies etc. and must have HDMI audio.

try going through amazon instead... i did a side by side newegg / amazon shopping cart comparison with my recent system upgrade (6 parts) and amazon was about 8% cheaper overall.

My CPU has a Radeon 3200 onboard and I have been looking for a better card... does that 4770 do audio over HDMI? I output the vid/audio thru HDMI for 7.1 movies etc. and must have HDMI audio.

it does HDMI via an adapter from the DVI port. That makes me think the HDMI is just for video, no sound is going out.

not sure tho

HDMI video cards with audio included is nice. It removes a extra cable and makes it easier for setup with existing home theater setups. Not sure how many of them include audio though.

I want to do this eventually.

This PS is not silent. It has a 80mm fan and spins like crazy. ( AnandTech: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 500W )

It needs atleast a 120mm fan. I have a "Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600W" (AnandTech: Cooler Master Silent Pro PSUs -> see the difference?) here, very quiet but I can't find it on newegg.

It was all Radeon cards had HDMI ports with audio included and there were rumors NVidia was going to follow this trend as well.

My upstairs computer is routed to a 120" projected screen in my home theater and the HDMI audio is needed for when I watch anything 7.1 encoded that I download or for Blu-ray or HD DVD's I watch off of the system.

Also Toslink is not high enough bandwidth to carry the full HD DTS or DolbyHD audio signal.

Back