looking for a laptop - help

Detox.enD

Veteran XV
i'm trying to get a new laptop, here's what i want it for:
- mobility - meaning weight. Don't care about the screen size, its the weight. i'd be fine with a 12" or 13" screen, or 17". however i realize the screen is a big portion of the weight, so i'm assuming somehwere between 12-14" would work best
- dockability - need the abilty to plug into a docking station without using a gheto usb generic dock
- graphics performance... i've looked everywhere i know where to look, and can't find a laptop with a good graphics card that isn't a 15 or 17" 6lbs brick...

any ideas? i'd prefer sony or hp, but am open to anything that meets the requirements.

price doesn't really matter, although i'd love to keep it under 1500, but realize the combination of small screen and low weight with the desire for a good graphics card will probably push me over 1500.

ideas? i can't find anything that fits all 3 requirements... of course ive been out of the hardware loop for 2+ years now...

thanks..

i'm starting to think what i want simply does not exist....
i know sony makes a model with the nvidia 930 m - but the ratings on that card suck from what ive read...

not quite sure how you expect to get an awesome videocard in a small machine. I don't think video card technology has come that far that you can find a top of the line videocard that isn't thick as a brick still even in laptops (But its getting there).

not quite sure how you expect to get an awesome videocard in a small machine. I don't think video card technology has come that far that you can find a top of the line videocard that isn't thick as a brick still even in laptops (But its getting there).

well, i wasnt expecting top of th eline, but i thought the technology was to the point that you could get a 'good' card... i just expected to pay in the area of 2k..

you can get a macbook with a "good" card in it for around 1200, cheaper if u can get a student discount.

I thought i would hate owning a mac, i took a chance and will never go back. except for desktop, but that is ONLY for gaming.

what exactly do you want to use this laptop for? Because it obviously isn't for gaming. Or else your only option would be the 8 pound bricks.

what exactly do you want to use this laptop for? Because it obviously isn't for gaming. Or else your only option would be the 8 pound bricks.

i want a business style laptop (the dock, the weight issue) that can hold up for a good 3-4 years.

i got a levova that was too big, and too underpowered for this sort of stuff because i went cheap (got a intel c2d 2.4 for like 550..) and neglected a few areas... and now im very unhappy (its a great laptop, i just underestimated what i would eventually want to do with it).

with that said, i need it to be able to run photoshop/flash decently well, since I still do work every now and again in those programs - plus it would help with the bloated visual studio work i do.

all that said - i'd like to be able to decently play computer games with it... and not chug at 8 fps with ultra low settings every now and again...

you can get a macbook with a "good" card in it for around 1200, cheaper if u can get a student discount.

I thought i would hate owning a mac, i took a chance and will never go back. except for desktop, but that is ONLY for gaming.

like i said, i'm not against using a mac...

my understanding is that its ability to work well with a domain isn't quite there yet... and considering in a sys admin, i spend a lot of time in remote desktop, active directory, and group policy sort of programs - not sure what mac has that works well with MS networks (since thats what we, and all of our clients use). I'd love to be able to use it for work, and is probably the overall-bigger goal... so while I wouldn't mind getitng a mac, i'm not so sure it'll work out...

I'll look into it but sony sells one lighter, smaller, thats dockable (haven't clicked the link) with a 9300m for 300$ more.

but i'll look.

Back