[TIPS] - Using wine in cooking

Kiint

Contributor
Veteran XX
Do not use a wine that you wouldnt drink (i.e don't use cheap wines in cooking that you wouldnt purchase for ordinary consumption)

Similarly do not use expensive ass wines that lose all meaning in the food being prepared.

Delicate foods require delicate wines, conversly strong flavours require bold flavoured wines.

Take the time and do a basic wine appreciation course to understand what wines go with which food (not just white/red etc, but the actual grape varieties). Do not rely on the Red = Beef and White = Chicken/Seafood mantra as some reds go well with seafood/chicken and some of the bolder whites go well in heartier meat dishes.

If you follow these rules then your wine infused meals will go from "nice" to "FUCK ME IN THE GOAT ASS THIS IS GOOD SHIT".

whenever using wine or other alchohol in cooking be sure to reduce by half - concentrates the flavor and cooks out the alchohol

The cheapest wine I'll use for cooking is either Black Box (which is perfectly drinkable) or Vendange minis you get at the convenient store. Also quite drinkable.

The key to cooking with wine is to let it cook long enough to distill it down from wine to something a little thicker.

Back