t-579766 Lent Special: Tilapia, baked [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

Lent Special: Tilapia, baked

old_skul
04-05-2009, 02:12 AM
Baked fish is super easy to make, totally awesome tasting, and good for you too. Try this some night you're lazy (every night, for me!):

1.5lb Tilapia Filets (about $5 at the grocer)
1 red pepper
1 yella pepper
1 green pepper (optional)
1 yella onion
4-? garlic cloves
Butter
Blackened Redfish Magic seasoning (in the spices)
6 slices lemon

Preheat oven to 350.
Wash the fish. Pat dry with paper towels. Foil a cookie sheet and lay the fish on.
Dice the onion & peppers, lay around fish.
Mince the garlic, sprinkle on fish.
Put 1tsp butter/margarine on top of each fillet.
Liberally coat each fillet with the seasoning.
Lay 2 slices of lemon on top of each fish fillet.
Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until fish flakes freely at the thickest part.

We eat this once a week. It's super easy to make and it way good for you.

Wine recommendation: Mondavi Reserve Chardonnay, about $8 at convenient store :)

nigafool
04-05-2009, 11:04 AM
I used to bake my tilapia but lately I've been pan searing it in butter for a couple minutes a side after a light coat of flour. I like the crispiness too much to go back to baking it.

Sometimes I rub it ahead of time with salt, pepper, cayenne, cumin, mustard seed and a little olive oil and let it sit in the fridge for a bit.

naptown
04-05-2009, 12:44 PM
it doesn't burn in the butter?

MadBoFo
04-05-2009, 01:27 PM
not if you cook it right.

zorro
04-05-2009, 05:50 PM
I used to bake my tilapia but lately I've been pan searing it in butter for a couple minutes a side after a light coat of flour. I like the crispiness too much to go back to baking it.

Sometimes I rub it ahead of time with salt, pepper, cayenne, cumin, mustard seed and a little olive oil and let it sit in the fridge for a bit.

i do the somthing similar

I pan sear in butter for ~3 minutes on each side, on 7/10 heat. Before I coat with flour and a little SP and Lemon pepper. After the tilapia is cooked i drain most of the excess butter and plate the tilapia. then in the same sautee pan add a splash of white wine, just a little minced garlic, juice from half a lemon and some tarragon. I like the oiliness of the wine on the fish while the fish stays crispy.

you gotta eat it kinda quick or else it will get soggy

MiikeB
04-05-2009, 08:27 PM
I had some tilapia tonight, different seasonings but man thats some good fish :)

FishStix
04-07-2009, 07:42 PM
I like Tilapia fried better. Really good if you coat in egg and flour.

old_skul
04-08-2009, 12:44 AM
Yeah, trying to stay a little healthier on some nights. It makes up for the fried rice.