Rain Jacket, I need one

SaintDude

Miss Deaf Texas++
Veteran XX
I work outside every day and am in need of a real raincoat, something that will breathe and is truly waterproof. I currently have an LL Bean Goretex system right now that I can put a winter liner into. It works decently but over the course of the day the jacket eventually starts soaking through especially if its raining heavy. Any of you outdoor types have any recommendations for a solid outer layer that can take a beating? I want to walk into a massive downpour and stay dry. Halps?

how much are you willing to spend? cabela's makes some pretty decent gore-tex jackets in the $100-200 range.

i spend a lot of time fishing in the winter nastiness, and even if it's pissing down and 34 degrees, i still prefer a lightweight gore-tex shell and layer up underneath.

how much are you willing to spend? cabela's makes some pretty decent gore-tex jackets in the $100-200 range.

i spend a lot of time fishing in the winter nastiness, and even if it's pissing down and 34 degrees, i still prefer a lightweight gore-tex shell and layer up underneath.

I'm willing to drop some coin on this as long as it works. I'm on my 2rd jacket in 3 years now. First one was complete garbage. This one is decent but doesn't hold up under heavy rain at all. I've looked at Cabelas but it's hard to judge what actually works and what just looks good on the hangar ya know?

I guess one more thing I'm looking for is an outer layer I can wear on its own that feels decent. This will be used during the summer months during anything from a light rain to a big thunderstorm.

I take it back, twenty bucks.

78561.jpg

I have a nice rain jacket from The North Face. I'm happy with it, and it has ventiation you can open and close as necessary.

I have a marmot shell that I like, my buddys also rave about outdoor research. But for a really good shell I'd say your looking at over $150. Like any big purchase go to the store because some of the high end jackets can have some weird cuts.

"Waterproof" and "breathable" are mutually exclusive, period.
Supposedly Gore-tex is but but as you've seen, it isn't.
Took years of buying expensive rain-gear to realize that if it looks like fabric on the outside, it will eventually leak.

As a carpenter who works outdoors in the Northwest I buy Helly Hansen: *Edit* Don't spend less than $100 (pants and coat)
PVC Waterproof Workwear - Waterproof Work Clothing
Yeah it's ugly, but it works the best. Otherwise, anything that's PVC-coated will do.

Specifically this:
http://www.hellyhansen-workwear.com/buy-online/pvc-waterproof/highliner-jacket/8/

Last edited:
Seriously

Goretex is a gimmick. I bet you buy underarmor shirts and sleep on a "memory foam" pillow too. Stop being an idiot consumer.

gore tex is not a gimmick. try walking a mile in rubber fishing waders, then do it in gore-tex.

i would prefer to wear PVC for workwear, though.

Seriously

Goretex is a gimmick. I bet you buy underarmor shirts and sleep on a "memory foam" pillow too. Stop being an idiot consumer.

If Goretex held up under heavy rain I would say it worked. It breathes compared to a fucking rubber duck suit at least. I don't know if it loses it's waterproofing through the fabric or the seams though. :hrm:

Underarmor sucks. Tried one once just to see what it was about and its trash. No idea why people like it. I don't use a foam pillow, I use a tempurpedic mattress and love the damn thing. Had it for years. Any other criticism there sparky or are you done with your drivel?

Back