In this thread, we list reasons why the C++ standard sucks

i think these retarded new age grading systems are so unnecessary.

when i was in school, you either got a C+ or a B-

giving a kid a "C++" doesn't mean shit. and does it really make the kid feel better? I don't think so.

lol, lets hate on a programming langauge cause its 'hard'.

i hate java people... java is for shitty programmers that can't handle their own garbage collection, so they fuck systems up, and need their programming language to have a runtime that takes care of the garbage collection for them.

If it were 'hard' and well designed, most people wouldn't give a damn. It's the fact that it tries to be several different things at once that makes it an absolute pain in the ass to use. Gladly, I haven't coded in C++ for years, but there are some real painful memories there.

I've always liked this quote: "C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog."

i hate java people... java is for shitty programmers that can't handle their own garbage collection, so they fuck systems up, and need their programming language to have a runtime that takes care of the garbage collection for them.
you just won the olympic games of jumping to conclusions

retard

but go on, try to defend clock(), I'd like to see your excuses

If it were 'hard' and well designed, most people wouldn't give a damn. It's the fact that it tries to be several different things at once that makes it an absolute pain in the ass to use. Gladly, I haven't coded in C++ for years, but there are some real painful memories there.

I've always liked this quote: "C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog."
I agree.. its a pain, its typically not fun, and i haven't done it in a while either.

I still loved learning about it, and hate the new age of 'programmers' that our universities are churning out.

you just won the olympic games of jumping to conclusions

retard

but go on, try to defend clock(), I'd like to see your excuses

I'm not going to defend it, and yeah i jumped to conclusions with you.

But as someone who recenetly went through the unversities, i see them preaching Java as some godsend to the programming community.

When in reality it's biggest + is the fact that you don't have to worry about shitty programmers who can't manage their own garbage collection.

The teachers justified it by saying 'when we taught C++, a lot of people failed, we switche dto java now most people pass' - and thats sad.
Infact its now evolved to - "when we taught java we had some people failing, now we teach python in the early levels cause everyone who pays attention passes"

btw python is the most garbage langauge ever invented.

But as someone who recenetly went through the unversities, i see them preaching Java as some godsend to the programming community.

When in reality it's biggest + is the fact that you don't have to worry about shitty programmers who can't manage their own garbage collection.

The teachers justified it by saying 'when we taught C++, a lot of people failed, we switche dto java now most people pass' - and thats sad.
Infact its now evolved to - "when we taught java we had some people failing, now we teach python in the early levels cause everyone who pays attention passes"

btw python is the most garbage langauge ever invented.
See, that's how we know american education sucks monkey balls.

See, that's how we know american education sucks monkey balls.

its typical of every aspect of the education system.

if the kids can't pass, lower the standards.

This is why people are coming from other countries and taking over our jobs, because they're smarter.. they're heald to a higher, absolute standard. not to a lower, relative (to dumb people) standard.

yes, it's typical of every aspect of the american education system

cause you know, people from other countries have higher standards due to their better education

I like Python because it takes 5 minutes to write a program in, its great for prototyping; where in C/C++ or Java it'd take an hour or more.

And...what's so bad about clock()?

If you're worried about how much CPU time your process is using that you require nanosecond resolution, then wrapping ever 72 seconds probably isn't much of a problem. In that case, it's perfectly usable.

If you don't need nanosecond resolution, there are other methods of calculating CPU time used.

Part of being a good C++ coder is knowing which method of doing what you need is best. Having multiple methods of doing the same thing (each having different strengths, weaknesses and purposes) is what makes C++ so great in my opinion. I have my complaints about some aspects too, but this is not one of them.

If you want something stupid to complain about, I suggest how the members of "struct tm" store "year-1900" and "month-1" instead of the actual year and month even though there's plenty of room for it.

And...what's so bad about clock()?
That it's so vague it's practically not defined? Have you read the standard?

The clock function returns the implementation’s best approximation to the processor time used by the program since the beginning of an implementation-defined era related only to the program invocation. To determine the time in seconds, the value returned by the clock function should be divided by the value of the macro CLOCKS_PER_SEC. If the processor time used is not available or its value cannot be represented, the function returns the value (clock_t)(-1).
Not to mention that clock_t is "defined" as any arithmetic type, and CLOCKS_PER_SEC doesn't necessarily contain the actual number of clocks per second.

How come I/O can be made platform-independent, but getting CPU time can't?

Back