So have you ever had to use your e-brake?

Blue-Mush

Veteran XV
I did tonight on my way home. Some idiot cut me off!!! In my neighborhood. I'm almost home good to go and some jack-ass drunk not paying attention cuts me off. Holy crap! I don't know how I thought to use it but I did and got sideways. Talk about a rush........

It would be faster just to use your brakes wouldn't it? (or were your brakes out for some reason)
Not necessarily faster...but once your brakes are floored I don't really see the "e-brake" helping any bit more. :shrug:

Last edited:
In a situation like that, your actual brakes work far better unless for some reason they're out of commission. The 'emergency brake' is more useful for parking than actual emergencies...

You're not going to get an added effect by pressing the pedal and pulling the e-brake. You're using the same damn brake either way (though the pedal uses both sets, the e-brake typically only does one). Plus you lose a hand that you could be using to do something helpful, such as steering.

Hitting your brake pedal would initiate the ABS system and possibly the Traction/Stability control (slowing you down, keeping the tires from locking up, and keeping you in control of your vehicle).

Throwing your e-brake will lock up your tires are cause you to fishtail.

i was once riding with a friend when his brakes started going out

downhill on the highway in traffic, and he had to use his e-brake the whole way home. pretty baller

yeah, i'm more worried about my tires losing traction than not being able to brake hard enough

i think i would only try the emergency brake if my normal brakes weren't working at all

im sure everywhere its called a parking brake

that said i use it to go around corners when its really snowy because its the only time i can drift in my awd suv without fucking it up :(

replaced the brake lines...forgot someshit at the the store...so i drove to the store using just ebrake lol

i did in college driving my 1978 chevy nova rally down a decently steep street in san diego, when my regular brakes decided to not work. at all.

I used both. But I just jerked on the thing, cause yah I've been drinking too. But this guy was just an idiot.
you're a dork for thinking that your handbrake

edit: damn, my post got cutoff.

... would stop you faster

Last edited:
I thought the e-brake is when you want to crack an internet joke in real life but realize it'd be awkward/inappropriate/nerdy.

Back