PSU or Mobo problem?

Rev_Night

Welches
Veteran XV
Everytime I turn off my machine, i cant just press the power button to have it come back on. I need to go to the back, flip the PSU switch off, wait untill i hear the mobo battery turn off, flip the PSU switch on, and then the case power button will work. Being that I cannot turn on the machine until the mobo battery has lost power, would this mean it has a problem and not the PSU?

Mobo:
Epox 9NPAJ

PSU:
Antec SP-500

Last edited:
How the hell can you hear a battery turn off? And turning the switch off in back doesn't turn off the battery anyway. Your computer will still keep the correct time unless you unplug the battery itself.

And yes, I would be looking into the mobo more so than the PSU (like 80% chance), but a PSU is much easier to swap to test.

it's probably the psu. power supplies are way more sensitive than motherboards (comparatively, they're subject to different ranges of abuse obviously) and they can cause shitloads of random problems you wouldn't suspect.

what you are hearing is the capacitors in the power supply losing their charge btw.

it's probably the psu. power supplies are way more sensitive than motherboards

So you're saying a device designed in part to provide clean power, regardless of how dirty the signal is, to the computer is more sensitive than the motherboard itself? :huh: :nerdfight:

So you're saying a device designed in part to provide clean power, regardless of how dirty the signal is, to the computer is more sensitive than the motherboard itself? :huh: :nerdfight:

I said comparatively. As in, the motherboard is less likely to fail because of dirty power supply output than the power supply is when it receives dirty input. BECAUSE the power supply receives way dirtier input than it could possibly pass on to the motherboard.

Translation: When you have a underpowered or shitty power supply, the motherboard rarely fries because of it. Except if it's an old AMD, in which case it'll fail no matter what.

Last edited:
Shocking the power supply will not hurt it though. They are simple and dumb components. Shocking the motherboard, on the other hand, causes problems like described in the OP. :)

Have you been inside the computer at all recently, Rev?

nope, the last thing i installed in the pc was my 8800gts like 2 years ago.

As for what i hear, when i turned off the PSU via the switch in the back, i wait about 5 seconds then i hear a high pitched sound of something turning off. I assumed it was the mobo battery losing power. If the problem is not with the mobo battery, then how can i fix the PSU?

i edited the OP with my mobo and PSU info

Last edited:
The motherboard jumps two psu wires to tell the power supply to switch on. Obviously the power supply isn't turning on. Therefore, the motherboard isn't doing it or the power supply isn't turning on when that happens.

So how does me turning off the psu, waiting 5 seconds until i hear the high pitch noise indicating somethign is turning off, and then turning on the PSU help things?

So how does me turning off the psu, waiting 5 seconds until i hear the high pitch noise indicating somethign is turning off, and then turning on the PSU help things?

I may not know the answer but I know how to find the solution. Try another power supply.

Buy a new PSU simply because it's easier. Also if you get the right PSU, it will be compatibile with future computer upgrades; whereas a motherboard will not.

If the PSU is not the problem, you have the ability to use the PSU you just bought in a future system

when you turn the PC back on , is the time wrong?

If so , might be your mother board battery is dead

Time shown where? In windows? Windows time is just fine

I may not know the answer but I know how to find the solution. Try another power supply.

Not possible, my only PSU in the house is the one i am using. Think of another diagnostic

Has it always been this way or did it just start heppening?

Just the past few months

Buy a new PSU simply because it's easier. Also if you get the right PSU, it will be compatibile with future computer upgrades; whereas a motherboard will not.

If the PSU is not the problem, you have the ability to use the PSU you just bought in a future system

I will have just wasted $80 and i dont plan on updated my system for years, so the PSU will probably be a wash.

Don't turn off your machine.

/thread

I actually had the same exact problem as you , i never got around to replacing the mobo battery(which i thought was the problem) .... i just ended up buying a new PC like i had planned

Back