why isn't my monitor working?

norty

Veteran X
I've been having the problem recently where when I start my computer I get to the Ubuntu login screen, log in, and then my monitor turns black and flickers a little and I can hear a little notice that coincides with the flickering.

I replaced my power supply for another reason but my monitor still does this. I have been able to work around it by unplugging the power cord and waiting about a minute then plugging it back in and it works. But I've just tried that a few times and it doesn't work. Any ideas?

The monitor is ViewSonic X Series VX922, the graphics card is GeForce 6800 GT, and Ubuntu version Hardy Haron.

I think it is a problem with the monitors power supply. I don't even get a green light on the power button..

i dont think its a monitor problem if you can get around it by replugging it in at a certain period in the boot process and having it work then.

its more likely a software driver problem. try it on another pc if possible or dual boot windows or something with this one. it could even be something as simple as a premature ubuntu screensaver timeout.

the vast majority of the time people perceive a hardware problem, it turns out to be software.

i dont think its a monitor problem if you can get around it by replugging it in at a certain period in the boot process and having it work then.

its more likely a software driver problem. try it on another pc if possible or dual boot windows or something with this one. it could even be something as simple as a premature ubuntu screensaver timeout.

the vast majority of the time people perceive a hardware problem, it turns out to be software.

yeah I was thinking that also... I'll be getting an old computer and monitor tomorrow to help troubleshoot.

If it were an ubuntu problem, why would it start randomly?

Except I've been diagnosing computer problems since I was 8, and I can usually find/fix any problem.

He said it just started recently, yet mentioned no driver updates. And I think nvidia linux drivers are mature enough nowdays to not cause visual and sound glitches. He hears a noise coinciding with the glitch? Yeah must be software. :rolleyes:

software is responsible for initializing hardware from the bios to OS drivers. if something is misconfigured between the two, such as monitor sync settings, vram reallocation, etc, you may get odd (even random) behavior on both ends.

default the bios, try a different OS with the same monitor or the same one with a different monitor to narrow it down.

Except I've been diagnosing computer problems since I was 8, and I can usually find/fix any problem.

He said it just started recently, yet mentioned no driver updates. And I think nvidia linux drivers are mature enough nowdays to not cause visual and sound glitches. He hears a noise coinciding with the glitch? Yeah must be software. :rolleyes:

i was assuming the noise was the typical resync sound. but ya more info would be nice :p:

I have a monitor lizard

young%20monitor%20lizard.jpg

ok update...

I tried plugging in another monitor I know work but it gives me the same problem. I have been using that computer just by having it running and vncing into it, and typically after a while of doing that the monitor "magically" gets power and works. I dunno wtf that means. Also today when I started it up, it worked perfectly fine, but i left it on while I went to class and when I came back it wasn't working and doing the same black/flickering as before.

this makes me think it's a software problem, especially since it started randomly and im running ubuntu. could I have installed an update that screwed things up? how can I fix it, google and ubuntu forums haven't helped.

I have the same problem -- my fileserver will boot (I see bios info), show the ubuntu splash screen, then the screen flickers and goes blank. About a minute or so later it comes back on and I hear the ubuntu startup noise

I'm using a fairly vanilla ubuntu install (gutsy something I think), and I'm using it as a fileserver and an HTPC. The primary monitor is my crt tv, which can display up to 1024x768. What's happening is the ubuntu loading screen is a higher res. I know this because I've booted with both my monitor and my tv plugged in, and the loading screen is when the tv blanks out.

Back