t-574394 College Football Recruiting [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

College Football Recruiting

Divinity
02-06-2009, 06:23 AM
So, as I understand it, one of Tennessee's potential prospects was on campus doing a tour when his cell phone rang. Lane Kiffin, being the major **** talker that he is, asks who is calling. Turns out it was Urban Meyer of 2 national championships with Florida fame. The result: Kiffin reported Meyer for "cheating" during recruitment.

This was a topic on PTI, with both guys not only condoning Kiffin's actions, but simultaneously encouraging what he did. Personally, I'm usually with the options aired on PTI, but I'm not so sure about this one. Yeah, it was a dick move for Meyer to be calling a potential prospect during his tour of another campus. I also think Kiffin was right for defending his right to have the undivided attention of visiting recruits. At the same time, I'm somewhat disgusted that Kiffin publicized the matter, trying to paint Meyer as a dirty recruiter and otherwise blowing the situation out of proportion.

I know a lot of people don't care about this type of stuff, but those that follow College Football realize how important recruiting is, especially for programs like Tennessee that are struggling to rebuild under an almost entirely new coaching staff.

So, how do you guys feel about "cheating" to win over potential prospects? Do you think that these types of recruiting strategies should be labeled as "dirty"?

{FSC}Godfather
02-06-2009, 06:56 AM
thats not cheating

The car florida bought him may be though

TeckMan
02-06-2009, 06:57 AM
don't know alot about college ball but no I don't think calling someone on the phone is a dirty recruitment tactic

JerryGarcia
02-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Nothing wrong with reporting violations. Meyer knows the rules and he knows the NCAA won't enforce them when it's Florida or another big time program.

Divinity
02-06-2009, 07:10 AM
I don't think it's so much the fact that Meyer called, I think it has more to do with the fact that he called during a scheduled campus visit, which I'm sure he was aware of. It seems like a play intended to keep Florida on the radar of a recruit that was potentially leaning away from the school.

I agree, I'm sure Meyer realizes that he is allowed more liberties due to his position in such an established, reputable program.

I don't necessarily think it was a dirty move, but I do think it was completely intentional as far as timing is concerned.

Jislan
02-06-2009, 07:16 AM
I don't really get what the problem is

If you think these coaches don't know when the recruits are on official visits, you're smoking crack.

Divinity
02-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Of course they do. But the way it played out is like if you were at a bar with an old ex-girlfriend and your current girlfriend called you up in the middle of it like hey ******* don't forget about me. ****ty analogy but it's the best I could come up with at 7:20 in the morning.l

Vanster
02-06-2009, 07:23 AM
Any Division I college football "program" should be called what it really is: a business.

Jislan
02-06-2009, 07:31 AM
He played it up like he did because he knows the ncaa will never do anything about it and this is the best way to discourage similar behavior in the future. Urban Meyer has a history of being a shady recruiter, you should see some of the bull**** he has told notre dame recruits the last few years. I think other SEC schools have reported similar things. So it's not like calling up players repeatedly during their official visits is the only thing Meyer has ever done.

DrSupey
:lol:

Why so serious?

cheezit
this is pretty soft as far as "cheating" goes. but I'm 100% for Kiffen reporting it. These coaches know exactly when their recruits are visiting other schools, especially late in the recruiting season after the bowls. Do what you want when you have the kids attention, but don't try to sabatoge another school's recruitment of him during an official campus visit.

With all the negative recruitment and dirty **** going on in CFB recruiting anymore, you HAVE to be reporting stuff like this. Otherwise coaches, especially in the SEC, will walk all over you in the recruiting game.

consultant
02-06-2009, 08:25 AM
NCAA and Southeastern Conference officials said it is not against recruiting rules to contact a recruit while they are on an official visit to another school.

Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley delivered a quick and harsh response to Kiffin's statement and called for him to apologize.

"It is obvious that coach Kiffin doesn't know that there is not a rule precluding phone contact with a prospect during an official visit on another campus during a contact period," Foley said in a statement.

"His allegations are inappropriate, out of line and, most importantly, totally false. It is completely unfair to Urban Meyer, our coaching staff, our football program and our institution," he said.

SEC commissioner Mike Slive then reprimanded Kiffin for publicly criticizing Meyer, which is against the league's code of ethics.

:lol: Talk about backfire...

Divinity
02-06-2009, 08:36 AM
It's weird that Florida's athletic director would first make it clear that there isn't a regulation against it, then go on to deny it anyway. He also insinuates that Florida recognizes that Kiffin must not have known that it was legal to call a recruit during a visit. Why would they ask for an apology after both denying that the call happened, while also saying that it wouldn't have been against any rules even if it did happen? How is it inappropriate and out of line to accuse somebody of doing something that isn't illegal?