[Bailout] Fuckers like this need to be shot.

DV

Veteran XV
Thain Resigns From Bank Of America, Former Merrill Lynch CEO John Thain Resigns From Bank Of America - CBS News

(AP) Former Merrill Lynch & Co. CEO John Thain resigned from Bank of America Corp. Thursday following news that Merrill had moved up its yearend bonuses, paying them just before BofA completed its acquisition of Merrill and sought more government bailout money.

The company gave no reason for Thain's departure. Bank of America spokesman Scott Silvestri issued a terse statement: "(BofA Chairman and CEO) Ken Lewis flew to New York today to talk to John Thain. And it was mutually agreed that his situation was not working out and he would resign."

The bonuses to Merrill Lynch executives were also paid out as the company prepared to report a $15.45 billion fourth-quarter loss _ a loss that led Bank of America to request and receive $20 billion in government bailout money. Merrill also received bailout funds.

Charlotte, N.C.-based Bank of America has increasingly come under criticism in recent weeks for its acquisition of Merrill Lynch, a deal fostered by the government to save Merrill Lynch on the same day that Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. collapsed amid the ballooning credit crisis. On Thursday, Bank of America said it knew of Merrill's plans to more up the bonuses.

"Merrill was an independent company until Jan. 1 of 2009," Silvestri said. "John Thain decided to pay year-end incentives in December, as opposed to their normal date in January. Bank of America was informed of his decision."

Bonuses were not paid, though, to Thain and four other top executives _ President and COO Greg Fleming, Chief Financial Officer Nelson Chai, President of Global Wealth Management Robert McCann, and General Counsel Rosemary Berkery _ who requested they not receive additional compensation.

The bonuses raise the question of how proper it was for executives in a struggling company to be given big payouts even as its soon-to-be-parent was accepting billions of dollars in government money. Bonuses are widely seen in the investment banking industry as necessary to retain top performers, but the fact that they were granted while tens of thousands of jobs were being eliminated across the securities and banking industry raises another question: How necessary were they to prevent defections?

Shares of Bank of America which were already tumbling Thursday, initially fell further after reports of Thain's departure, but regained some of their ground. Bank of America shares fell 83 cents, or 12.4 percent, to $5.85 in afternoon trading.

*Cliffs*
-Bank of America is just about to Aquire Merrill Lynch
-CEO of Merrill Lynch ups the "year end" bonuses and dumps them days before aquisition.
-Around 4 Billion in Bonuses
-Both Merrill Lynch and BoA have gotten Bailout Money.
-Oh, and he'll end up getting a 10-12 million dollar departure bonus.

WHAT THE FUCK!?!

Hey, the guy worked hard to get where he is, if you don't like it, become the CEO of the company of your choice and you too can rip off the public.

Otherwise, shut the fuck up and let the rich get richer.

Oh not to mention before leaving he also paid 1.4 Million to have his office decorated.

Dude BoA is going to lay off 30k to 35k people over the next 3 years.

And this dickhead is spending over 30 thousand on a fucking shitter?!?

I may be angry, but I'm not that angry.

I'm hoping one of the crazier fucks of TW will lose it soon, and go on a CEO shooting spree.

They spent $1,200,000 redoing his office when he first arrived.
$35,000 for a toilet.

i just watched that report on CNN.

its ridiculous... how about running your company somewhere besides into the ground - instead of just collecting large bonuses.

His toilet is Jennifer Anistons mouth. She licks his ass hole clean. In the long run it's cheaper and saves a lot of trees.

If you are a shareholder of ML... you would've gladly let him take a even bigger payout. He just saved your ass. Thain did great at what his job was to do... he didn't run ML into the ground (he came after Stan O'Neal ran it to the ground), his job was to extract the most value out of the shares for the shareholders.

He ripped Ken Lewis (ceo of bofa) off and made him look like a fool. If you are a shareholder of BofA then you should sue Ken Lewis for being an idiot and getting his ass kicked by a better dealmaker.

I’m shocked that the bailout slush fund Congress has created would be abused by members of Congress.

Shocked I tell you.

Troubled One United Bank in Boston didn’t look much like a candidate for aid from the Treasury Department’s bank bailout fund last fall.

The Treasury had said it would give money only to healthy banks, to jump-start lending. But OneUnited had seen most of its capital evaporate. Moreover, it was under attack from its regulators for allegations of poor lending practices and executive-pay abuses, including owning a Porsche for its executives’ use.

Nonetheless, in December OneUnited got a $12 million injection from the Treasury’s Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP. One apparent factor: the intercession of Rep. Barney Frank, the powerful head of the House Financial Services Committee.

Mr. Frank, by his own account, wrote into the TARP bill a provision specifically aimed at helping this particular home-state bank. And later, he acknowledges, he spoke to regulators urging that OneUnited be considered for a cash injection.

So was OneUnited yet another bank that is “too big to fail” or is just a bank that’s in Frank’s district and so got a special favor from Frank at the expense of the American taxpayers?

Linkyhttp://sayanythingblog.com/entry/shocker_barney_frank_uses_bailout_money_to_help_supporters/

I’m shocked that the bailout slush fund Congress has created would be abused by members of Congress.

Shocked I tell you.

Troubled One United Bank in Boston didn’t look much like a candidate for aid from the Treasury Department’s bank bailout fund last fall.

The Treasury had said it would give money only to healthy banks, to jump-start lending. But OneUnited had seen most of its capital evaporate. Moreover, it was under attack from its regulators for allegations of poor lending practices and executive-pay abuses, including owning a Porsche for its executives’ use.

Nonetheless, in December OneUnited got a $12 million injection from the Treasury’s Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP. One apparent factor: the intercession of Rep. Barney Frank, the powerful head of the House Financial Services Committee.

Mr. Frank, by his own account, wrote into the TARP bill a provision specifically aimed at helping this particular home-state bank. And later, he acknowledges, he spoke to regulators urging that OneUnited be considered for a cash injection.

So was OneUnited yet another bank that is “too big to fail” or is just a bank that’s in Frank’s district and so got a special favor from Frank at the expense of the American taxpayers?

LinkyShocker: Barney Frank Uses Bailout Money To Help Supporters - Say Anything

If obama has any balls, dignity, or common decency for the people of this country, he will order an investigation and have these people charged, tried, and sentenced for a long time...

i hope someone does, these people are crooks, and are abusing the american people.

If obama has any balls, dignity, or common decency for the people of this country, he will order an investigation and have these people charged, tried, and sentenced for a long time...

i hope someone does, these people are crooks, and are abusing the american people.

I'd love to see this happen.

Back