I need crock pot recipes

Fox

Veteran X
I've been using the crock pot a lot lately mostly because of convenience, throwing some chicken in there with a can of soup + water and calling it good.

Lately my less than mediocre cooking is catching up with me and I'm getting kinda sick of the simple chicken + soup all the time. Wondering if you guys have some crock pot recipes you'd like to share. Please.

beef stew

2 lbs chuck beef
1 medium sized white onion
5 red potatoes
some celery
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 tbsp wondra flour
1 pkt beef bouillabaisse
4 turkish bay leaves

Carroll Shelby's original beer-cheese chili recipe:

This is not the packaged stuff you buy with the same name at the supermarket. It's now banned from chili competitions in all variants due to awesomeness, according to the book I originally got it from.

1 pound beef round
1 pound beef chuck
1 can tomato sauce (get the big 28-oz can)
1 bottle beer
1/4 cup red hot chili pepper, dried, hot, ground
2 each garlic cloves finely chopped
1 each onion small, chopped
1 1/4 teaspoons oregano, dried
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, ground
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 pound monterey jack cheese, grated

DIRECTIONS:

Brown beef. Use a dribble of cooking oil if necessary. Break up lumps, etcetera. Drain, drain, drain. Put in crock pot.

Add the tomato sauce, beer, ground chile, garlic, onion, oregano, paprika, 1 teaspoon of the cumin, and the salt. Add black pepper to taste, and anything you want to make it hotter if you want a more kickin' chili, but this recipe is pretty hot as is.

Stir to blend.

Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Not sure if this goes against crock pot rules.

Stir occasionally.

Taste and adjust seasonings, adding the cayenne pepper towards the end.

Simmer, uncovered, 1 hour longer.

Stir in the cheese and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of the cumin.

Simmer 1/2 hour longer, stirring often to keep the cheese from burning.

Last edited:
Bacon Beef Stew

Alright this is from memory but I make it a lot - very tasty.

Stew beef (or venison) 1-2 lbs
6 slices bacon
1 14.5 ounce can of italian herb diced tomatoes
1 12 ounce can of brown gravy (I use 1 package of lipton's beefy onion gravy to make this instead)
4 or 5 potatoes (to your taste)
a few cups of baby carrots
1 cup of baby onions
Minced garlic if you like

Cut up your stew beef (I use venison a lot as well) how ever much you like probably around a pound or two.

Fry your bacon til it is crispy and save the drippings.

Brown your meat in the bacon drippings (like a tablespoon or so)

Put your stew meat in the crock pot, along with a few tbsp of bacon grease (if you want to add the garlic brown it with the meat)

Mix the can of italian herbs with the gravy in a bowl.

Chop up your potatoes, and throw them along with your carrots in the crock pot. Add your baby onions, or just chopped up onion if you want.

Add the gravy/tomatoes mix and stir everything together really well.

At this point you can add a glass of water and a few tablespoons of instant mashed potatoes if you want to get more servings out of it. If not, just leave it the way it is.

Cook on high for about 5 hours or low for around 8-9. It's done when the potatoes aren't too hard. Remember not to open it too much - every time you open a crock pot it adds 20 minutes to the cook time. I usually stir it one time in the middle, but it isn't really necessary.

This is a recipe I took out of a crock pot recipe book, and it is a favorite. I also add onion power or nature's seasoning occasionally.

When you are ready to serve the stew, crumple up the bacon slices like bacon bits and put it on top. It is a nice easy meal that is filling and cheap.

Back