[Binoculars] Anything a prospective buyer should know?

FOG|Adrenaline

Veteran XX
I'm looking at getting a decent pair of binoculars, but not looking to spend a grand or anything. Is there any sort of feature that I should be aware of? Some sort of auto-focusing ability or better coloring or anything? Any sort of techy thing that would be cool and add to their use?

It would mostly be used in well-lit settings.

Do I just need to get a plain pair of binoculars at WalMart?

Optic1050 Binoculars

seriously though what do you plan on using them for? bird watching? sports viewing from the nose bleed section? peeping on underage girls through there windows?

Sounds like they will collect dust more than they'll be used so just get a cheapy pair

Don't spend 600 on binoculars to go to the $10 seats. Why not save and pay 50-80 for better seats. (unless you go every home game or something).

BNV 2.5x42 Pro Russian Night Vision Rubber Armored Binoculars w/ Built-in Infrared Illuminator - Kalinka Optics Warehouse®

BNV 2.5x42 Pro Russian Night Vision Rubber Armored Binoculars w/ Built-in Infrared Illuminator ( #NVBBNV2542P )

These are the most up-to-date binoculars from the former Soviet Union. They have the best generation 1 image intensifier tubes we have seen, with very high resolution, and very little distortion. Their light weight and ergonomic design make them very comfortable to use. MOST IMPORTANTLY, IN CONTRAST TO OUR NVB, THESE HAVE EYEPIECES THAT AUTOMATICALLY COMPENSATE FOR INTERPUPILLARY DISTANCE. Throughout its existence, the USSR was a leader in military optics. After the Soviet Army entered Germany in WWII, they made a concerted effort to occupy as many industrial factories as possible. They occupied the majority of the German optical plants, including the famous Carl Zeiss-Jena factory. They then took the technology and tooling back to Russia, added their own refinements and began to build similar but even more advanced binoculars. For many years these binoculars were strictly for military issue. The BNV series of night-vision optics have repeatedly scored superior marks. They have been battle-tested over and over and are considered a great choice for intense environments. These binoculars provide amazing quality at a fraction of the cost of Western versions. The optics are precision-ground and fully-coated. The purchase includes an individual military serial number, ocular covers, a neck strap, and an English instruction manual. Military use has borne out their facility and usefulness in even total darkness conditions. Military commanders brag of their famous non-narrowing field of vision and the resultant distinct and contrasting picture. They are set apart by their superior resolution; don't even think of comparing them with other more-pedestrian binoculars, both civilian or even military binoculars. Again, they are perfectly suited to any climate and well protected from moisture and dust and come with a cushioned housing which reliably protects the lens against impact.

Probably mainly Sports Viewing from the nosebleeds, so I'm thinking a wide FOV would be good. But I'd like them to translate into other uses as well.

Just asking here cause I figured some people on here might have a lot of input while I research on google on my own.

This guide looks like it might have some good info on it, Binocular Buyers Guide - Dick's Sporting Goods

Just watch it on TV and you get replays, all kinds of different angles etc...

Back