How old to watch children?

Alvarez

Veteran XX
Parents face this all the time and I have carted my kids even after they fall asleep in the car to gas stations, and stores even when they will be quick trips. I have been told multiple times that once a kid is a young adult and 12 they can oversee the other children in the car for short periods of time.

Today we faced this... my youngest son fell asleep and we had to run in to get a sim card for my wifes phone. My wife ran out to check on them while I was in line but my oldest was 12 and I assumed it wasn't an issue. A police woman responded to someone who apparently called it in and asked how old the children were. I told her 12 and the toddler had just fallen asleep, she said "oh ok, it was called in as they were 2 toddlers" She asked William how old he was, he told her and she left.

Is there a law posted on this... apparently we weren't in the wrong because she left promptly afterward, but this was the 1st time we have tried it so god damn! It's more shocking how much people are in your business, but if it was some parent leaving their kids for hours Its a good thing they were called I guess.

12 is fine your neighbors are sensitive homos

I wouldn't leave your kids home alone though

293.home.alone.121107.jpg

not neighbors it was someone standing outside the car I imagine.. the car was always in eyesight and my wife was watchin it like a hawk. No one entered any of the cars around it or walked by the car... I imagine they saw us get out and guessed they were toddlers :shrug: Like I said she even ran out and checked on them a couple times and I wasn't in the store more the 15 freakin minutes. (not counting the stopping to talk to a damn police woman lol)

I just figured if someone is going to call me in and if I was in the wrong I wanted to see it.. I just wanted to know so I can know when its safe to leave my son to oversee things.. hell 12 I would think would be fine but :shrug: society is weird.

Parents face this all the time and I have carted my kids even after they fall asleep in the car to gas stations, and stores even when they will be quick trips. I have been told multiple times that once a kid is a young adult and 12 they can oversee the other children in the car for short periods of time.

Today we faced this... my youngest son fell asleep and we had to run in to get a sim card for my wifes phone. My wife ran out to check on them while I was in line but my oldest was 12 and I assumed it wasn't an issue. A police woman responded to someone who apparently called it in and asked how old the children were. I told her 12 and the toddler had just fallen asleep, she said "oh ok, it was called in as they were 2 toddlers" She asked William how old he was, he told her and she left.

Is there a law posted on this... apparently we weren't in the wrong because she left promptly afterward, but this was the 1st time we have tried it so god damn! It's more shocking how much people are in your business, but if it was some parent leaving their kids for hours Its a good thing they were called I guess.

nobody was in the wrong imo. no harm, no foul

I searched a bunch of different things on google but kept getting cases where kids died in hot cars.. (67 degrees here in indiana today lol)

My dad's a cop and told me when I was 8 I was legally allowed to be left alone for short periods (in MD at least). When I was 8, this was the most awesome thing to find out. I don't know how old you'd have to be to *watch* kids, but I'd guess that it's less of a set law and more of a "if the police and social services have to talk to/ about you enough times..." kind of thing.

Well I know you are legally allowed to babysit children at a residence at 12 years old in Indiana at least. Almost all of these babysitting courses even license you at 12 years old.

if you can't leave your kids in the car for 15 minutes while you go in a shop, without someone calling the police on you, then your country is fucked

i dont think people being concerned about kids is a bad thing

i dont think the cops giving it a look is a bad thing

i dont think leaving your 12 year old kid in the car to watch their younger sibling is a bad thing

I would consider it a good day, not a bad one

i dont think people being concerned about kids is a bad thing

i dont think the cops giving it a look is a bad thing

i dont think leaving your 12 year old kid in the car to watch their younger sibling is a bad thing

I would consider it a good day, not a bad one

As I said before I think its prolly good the police came, I think all in all the person calling in was prolly good for doing so also. The person who called in I think prolly saw my wife continually running out and checking on them and us looking as we watched the car the whole time... no one walked by the car so I doubt someone happened upon seeing the kids in the car. I think it was someone either trying to start trouble or being overly worried. Either way if I had've been one of those parents to leave the kids for hours its good they called.

I only was curious if someone knew the laws because I have searched and I cannot find anything written for any state.

He talked to strangers, reprimand your child immediately!

LOL he talked to the police officer AFTER we were present. My son will not respond to strangers even police officers. There was an incident last year in the quiet town Brownsburg I live in where a man was driving around in a police car and uniform picking up kids.

Why didn't either of you just sit in the car with them since it was only 15 minutes? Or why you both had to go since all she needed was a sim card and that doesn't require the both of you to go.

Back