Slip resistant shoes?

Big Monkey

Veteran XV
I'm getting old and I hate that every year I have to walk super slow to make sure I don't slip and fall on the ice when the bad weather hits.

I don't plan on running anywhere, but I would like to walk a bit more confident knowing that I'm not likely to bust my ass just trying to get inside my office building from the parking lot.

I was channel flipping and happened to see a glimpse of something called YakTrax on the QVC channel.

After a bit of reading, it turns out that they are good on ice and snow, but anything else you'll likely bust your ass.

I'm curious as to how they will work on pavement with just an occasional thin layer of ice.

Anyone own any actual shoes that work well on the ice?

How about a slip on mechanism like the YakTrax?

Halp =[

How old?

Like if you've just turned 25, you're going to have a tough crowd here from which to elicit sympathy.

If you're older as in. .approaching senior citizen, then Yaktrax are awesome, particularly if you're a runner.

i bought a $150 pair of red wing boots for work, they are slip resistant

dunno how well they work on ice though

How old?

Like if you've just turned 25, you're going to have a tough crowd here from which to elicit sympathy.

If you're older as in. .approaching senior citizen, then Yaktrax are awesome, particularly if you're a runner.

Turned 35 this year. Body won't bounce back like when I was in my early 20's.

I need to make sure that I won't go in to retirement with everything broken and busted.

I spent a few years working for Smithfield foods in their freezer. they provided full feezer suits, gloves and Boots for us. the boots we had were amazing on anything i ever walked in. snow, ice, oil or whatever else and i never slipped once. we could spend 8 hours in a freezer (22 to -45 degrees) without our feet ever feeling cold.
downside is that each boot weighed a ton with the inserts and all.

they were similar to these but not quite the same.

Dansko clogs work well.

Agreed, but I think Big Monkey is looking for more casual use.

Most "slip resistant" shoes you see are for work-related use for people not to slip on water, oil, whatever on the floor. I'm not quite sure they would stop you from falling on a really slippery icy pavement on a walkway or something.

Agreed, but I think Big Monkey is looking for more casual use.

Most "slip resistant" shoes you see are for work-related use for people not to slip on water, oil, whatever on the floor. I'm not quite sure they would stop you from falling on a really slippery icy pavement on a walkway or something.

Agreed, something like this Converse Work Athletic Oxford - Black - Free Shipping & Return Shipping would work well on water, oil etc like you said and better than normal on ice but not perfect.

The Stabilicers Lite Traction devices mentioned earlier work pretty damn well on ice.

I think I have some Dansko clogs and Sketchers slip resistant shoes, but I wouldn't really wear them for outside use.

Back