Spielberg and Smith plot Oldboy remake

Mharrman

Veteran XV
Steven Spielberg and Will Smith are planning to collaborate on a remake of Park Chan-wook's Oldboy

Steven Spielberg and Will Smith are planning to collaborate on a remake of Park Chan-wook's Oldboy, according to Variety. The pair, who have been looking for a project to work on together for some time, are said to be in early discussions about reworking the acclaimed Korean thriller, which centres on a man who is kidnapped and held in a dirty cell for 15 years without explanation.

Gah, stop fucking up great movies with remakes Hollywood.

I don't know Will Smith is a good actor and can play the normal drunk guy. I can just picture it in my head for some reason.

What the fuck. Fuck you Spielberg and Smith. Fucking make your own fucking movies. Stop stealing plots from books and movies. Seriously stop. Seriously. No Really, stop.

I hope this is just a rumor. I can see making a movie similar to Oldboy. But why steal the title? All art borrows from other pieces of art, but for Christ's sake introduce something new and call it something new. I guess this is all about $$$.

Alec Baldwin was trying to get Oldboy made with him as the star. I thought he would have been awesome in it, if he lost the weight.

Spielberg is also trying to remake Ghost in the Shell with Dreamworks. Who knows how that will go.

All the articles quote the octopus scene as a reason it would be difficult to americanize, but anyone who has watched Oldboy knows the real reason would be the incest. Will Smith is no where near coarse enough to pull off Oldboy.

It won't be even passable as the same film once Spielberg is done with it.

Oldboy is a great piece of cinema, nothing needs to be done to it.

Steven Spielberg and Will Smith to Remake Oldboy?! | /Film

/Film said:
And before everyone starts leaving angry comments about how this film shouldn’t be produced… know this:

Hollywood is going to remake Oldboy NO MATTER WHAT.

The question is would you rather someone like Justin Line of Tokyo Drift fame helm the adaptation with someone of the likes of Vin Diesel attached to star, or the biggest director in American cinema history and Will Smith attached to star?

2969.full.jpg

Honestly, I think Mr. "I live life a quarter mile at a time" would do a better job than the fresh prince of bel-air.

Also, they'll change the script/dialogue/ending sequence around so much that it doesn't even resemble the original. I'm willing to wager that they'll completely remove all of the
Spoiler
stuff, which would totally ruin it.

Spielberg, I can understand. But Smith?

Don't fucking ruin Oldboy by putting will smith in it and americanizing the shit out of it. I bet they're going to cut the whole
Spoiler
twist, and just make it about some guy going after his captor.

Back