Ted 'Tubes' Stevens pulling ahead in Alaska

It doesen't matter if Stevens gets thrown in jail before he can take office again. Governor of Alaska is republican (duh), and therefore the seat stays republican.

It's not a vote for Ted Stevens, it's a vote for continued republican holding of that seat.

I did a little more research on the Alaska senate rules.

Basically, Palin would appoint an interim senator in place of Stevens, and there'd have to be a special election within 60-90 days. However given the political make-up of Alaska, whoever Palin appoints would almost assuredly be elected over the democrat that would run against him/her.

I did a little more research on the Alaska senate rules.

Basically, Palin would appoint an interim senator in place of Stevens, and there'd have to be a special election within 60-90 days. However given the political make-up of Alaska, whoever Palin appoints would almost assuredly be elected over the democrat that would run against him/her.

i doubt it i think begich would win over someone not stevens

i doubt it i think begich would win over someone not stevens

Its pretty unlikely. But if the republicans in Alaska thought that there was a threat there, the legislature could simply change the rules to where an appointment lasts much longer (say till the mid-term), before Stevens actually has to leave his spot.

Back