The dirty politics of Spore's development. Let Will Wrights good name stay intact!

Reggs

Veteran XX
We Found Who to Tar and Feather!

Chris Hecker, hate this man for the rest of your lives!
192912654745f0c601b82d0.jpg

Cliffs:

-Will Wright always wanted a more complex science based spore, as seen in early previews

-Some idiot on the development team campaigned for a more dumbed down game to appeal to more consumers. He split the development team into two camps, and recruited people into his camp.

-Spore was watered down because of inhouse sabotage.

-Will Wright's Spore, the one everyone first read about and got excited over, was never made because of this.

I knew something was up since Will Wright stayed low key since the game came out. I did not know what, maybe EA's influence, but now we know what happened.

Last edited:
Spore as originally pitched by Wright was no more interesting than the final game.

Last edited:
i played through it, i quickly got up to the space age after realizing in the first level or two that the way i build my creatures has no practical input on how they or other creatures react to them i could just place shit haphazard. so i did.

got to the space portion of the game and quickly quit, and uninstalled it. what a piece of shit the space portion is, even if you forgive the rest of the game that alone makes it a lame game.

pretty much every aspect of entertainment is subject to this sort of thing. The only films/games/books/magazines/tv shows these days that maintain any kind of artistic integrity are the ones that still subscribe to the dying "auteur" concept of creation.

pretty much every aspect of entertainment is subject to this sort of thing. The only films/games/books/magazines/tv shows these days that maintain any kind of artistic integrity are the ones that still subscribe to the dying "auteur" concept of creation.

The weird thing about this guy is that he blasted the wii for not being helpful to games as an 'art form' and that it was dumbing games down. There are few people you can loath more in the industry than this guy, been in the industry since the mid 90s and the only game he has worked on that got published (spore) he was responsible for dumming it down. Whilst all the time blaming the industry itself and praising himself for his artistic integrity.

The worst part is after it was all said and done he probably got a promotion for it and spore (yes, this last line is conjecture as apart to the paragraph above.)

This guy should go on a list of people in the industry that we track, in much the same way the CIA tracks former soviet bloc explosives experts; if we lose sight of just one, we're going to have no idea whats coming when a game we are interested in bombs.

That really does explain everything. Spore sucked, and it had so much potential.

The "Simon Says" portions were the worst.

Back