Contributor
Veteran X
Americans for Tax Reform
^^^KLIK
Look in the left-side column
Input your 401k balance
Push Calculate

How This Calculator Works

The ATR 2008 401(k) Calculator attempts to show how various changes to the tax structure will affect the underlying value of your 401(k). Since taxes are a cost drag on investments, raising or lowering key tax rates has the effect of raising or lowering the value of your nest egg—regardless of whether that nest egg is in a tax-deferred account or not. When the stock market goes up and down, so does your 401(k).

Below are the inputs for each of the scenarios. The calculation’s estimates were prepared by Rutledge Capital.

Current Law: When you input the value of your 401(k) today, implicit in that value are the effects of current tax law. These include a 15% capital gains rate, a 15% dividends rate, a 35% corporate income tax rate, and depreciation of capital equipment

Obama: The Obama tax plan assumes a 20% capital gains rate, a 20% dividends rate, a 35% corporate income tax rate, and depreciation of capital equipment

McCain: The McCain tax plan assumes a 15% capital gains rate, a 15% dividends rate, a 25% corporate income tax rate, and expensing of capital equipment

Hill Dems: The Hill Democrat tax plan assumes a 28% capital gains rate, a 39.6% dividends rate, a 35% corporate income tax rate, and depreciation of capital equipment

ATR: The ATR tax plan assumes a 0% capital gains rate, a 0% dividends rate, a 25% corporate income tax rate, and expensing of capital equipment
:deal:

SOURCE

its not like obama is going to take money out of my 401k.

i'll still make money on it regardless. with company match as one example.

now if you're saying that it wouldn't gain as much as these other plans, then I'd agree. but this little calculator makes it seem like some of those plans are actually going to cost me money, which is misleading.

it gets taxed on the way out... I won't be taking it out for 25 years so this has no bearing on me.

EDIT: so i read that site for all of 5 minutes so i may have missed something but as far as I can tell they are screaming lower taxes but not saying where the government is going to get the money to pay for current programs or which programs to cut to make the tax cuts not create even more debt. Point me in the direction of this if its on there. To much crap on that site to sift through.

Last edited:
RON PAUL!

20070812-ron-paul-magneto.jpg

If McCain gets elected I'm going to use money to wipe my ass. People will think I'm crazy at first but it will catch on.

im more concerned with his proposed change in penalties on 401k early withdrawals...

apparently he wants to buy a few more votes by 'letting the middle class access their money in hard times' :rofl:

i'm already supporting most fuckups on tw with my tax dollars, all i need is for obama to encourage them to blow what little chance they have at retirement :hrm:

My header was for people who actually have 401k's...

Not you TW misfits who lack rationale and a current voter registration card.

Sheesh...

you'll have to excuse tsetse, he's one of those people that will tell you all day what to do with your money, but he can't make any of his own.

Sort of the 'do/teach' thing.

Back