t-558241 what should i buy at the grocery store and what should i do with it? [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

what should i buy at the grocery store and what should i do with it?

Pages : [1] 2

timecode
09-22-2008, 11:54 PM
ugh, i'm so ****ty at food stuffs.

i always buy the same **** and eat the same ****... it gets really old.

I pretty much eat either baked chicken (boneless/skinless) or turkey sandwiches. lol Usually have broccoli or corn w/ the chicken. Oh and sometimes I cook a pot roast thingy.

i'm looking for relatively HEALTHY, fast, easy, food stuffs.

Oh my friend does turkey bacon + eggs in a whole wheat wrap w/ a little hot sauce.. i should start doing that b/c it is pretty tastey/quick/and no so bad for u i don't think.

Everytime I go to the grocery store I try and get more/new stuff but never know what to get.

Suggestions on what to get and what to do with what I get????

ODiE
09-23-2008, 01:14 AM
My approach when I go grocery shopping is that every meal consists of 3 things. Meat, Potato/rice/noodle/some kinda carby starchy thing, and vegetables. It's not hard to plug anything into those three variables. I kinda rotate pork chops, chicken breasts, steaks, maybe some fish now and again. Veggies I'll get whatever is seasonal and looks tasty like asparagus, broccoli, peas, etc. I only go frozen if I'm broke or dont want to go to the grocery store.

Cool thing is you can combine them however you want. Pasta, fried rice, stir fry, whatever it's all the same ingredients.

Lately I've been BBQing a lot and seriously makes pork chops taste totally different and a whole different level of delicious.

PS - Cheap, Healthy, Good Tasting.... Pick two.

kloa
09-23-2008, 01:46 AM
I find a change of veggies helps a lot. I too eat a lot of baked, skinless/boneless chicken meals and I like mixing up veggies because I like most of them. You can buy most of them frozen in bags you just microwave to steam, or go the old way of canned veggies.

Peas, snowcapped peas (crisp and larger, unlike canned), cooked carrots, cauliflower, string beans, green beans, spinach, creamed corn, potatoes, yams (with butter and brown sugar plz), cucumber, zucchini, brussel sprouts (not so much anymore), etc.

-

Tuna/chicken salad are also easy to make, easy to mix up with different seasonings, and healthy depending on how much mayo you use. Simple as tuna + mustard, or get crazy with relish, salt, pepper, eggs, celery, grapes, apples, carrots, sprouts, sliced almonds and all sorts of stuff.

-

Sandwiches are also healthy, and tasty with breads like rie, sourdough, pumpernickel, whole wheat, etc. I usually get a nice long, crunchy bread to make subs out of.

Lots of meats and lots of flavorings for meats. I'm a fan of rotisserie and oven baked turkey with roast beef, pastrami, and lots of toppings. Banana peppers, salt, pepper, vinegar, pickles, mustard (also many flavors), red onion, olives, etc.

Don't forget cheeses even though they have some trans fat, I must have some sort of cheese on my sandwich! Too many to list, but some basics would be: pepper jack, swiss, provolone, or plain american.

Last stop for sandwiches, baked, broiled, or cold? You can get two completely different tasting sandwiches when you broil one but not the other.

timecode
09-24-2008, 02:26 AM
My approach when I go grocery shopping is that every meal consists of 3 things. Meat, Potato/rice/noodle/some kinda carby starchy thing, and vegetables. It's not hard to plug anything into those three variables. I kinda rotate pork chops, chicken breasts, steaks, maybe some fish now and again. Veggies I'll get whatever is seasonal and looks tasty like asparagus, broccoli, peas, etc. I only go frozen if I'm broke or dont want to go to the grocery store.

Cool thing is you can combine them however you want. Pasta, fried rice, stir fry, whatever it's all the same ingredients.

Lately I've been BBQing a lot and seriously makes pork chops taste totally different and a whole different level of delicious.

PS - Cheap, Healthy, Good Tasting.... Pick two.

see that's one thing that sucks.. i can't grill at my apt. :(

timecode
09-24-2008, 02:29 AM
I find a change of veggies helps a lot. I too eat a lot of baked, skinless/boneless chicken meals and I like mixing up veggies because I like most of them. You can buy most of them frozen in bags you just microwave to steam, or go the old way of canned veggies.

Peas, snowcapped peas (crisp and larger, unlike canned), cooked carrots, cauliflower, string beans, green beans, spinach, creamed corn, potatoes, yams (with butter and brown sugar plz), cucumber, zucchini, brussel sprouts (not so much anymore), etc.

-

Tuna/chicken salad are also easy to make, easy to mix up with different seasonings, and healthy depending on how much mayo you use. Simple as tuna + mustard, or get crazy with relish, salt, pepper, eggs, celery, grapes, apples, carrots, sprouts, sliced almonds and all sorts of stuff.

-

Sandwiches are also healthy, and tasty with breads like rie, sourdough, pumpernickel, whole wheat, etc. I usually get a nice long, crunchy bread to make subs out of.

Lots of meats and lots of flavorings for meats. I'm a fan of rotisserie and oven baked turkey with roast beef, pastrami, and lots of toppings. Banana peppers, salt, pepper, vinegar, pickles, mustard (also many flavors), red onion, olives, etc.

Don't forget cheeses even though they have some trans fat, I must have some sort of cheese on my sandwich! Too many to list, but some basics would be: pepper jack, swiss, provolone, or plain american.

Last stop for sandwiches, baked, broiled, or cold? You can get two completely different tasting sandwiches when you broil one but not the other.

chicken salad is something i have thought about.. i'd really like to know how to make it. Can u tell me how??? :heart:

Bucket_Of_Mom
09-24-2008, 04:48 AM
buy **** for stir fry.

kloa
09-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Get some type of canned chicken breast in chunks. Nothing special about different brands. I'm a fan of Member's Mark (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=190044) at Sam's club though, since you can buy a 6pack of them for the lowlow.

Add:

- Shred the chunks with a fork to make it spreadable
- Mayo and/or miracle whip (I like a little of both)
- Pepper
- Tony Chachere's* (includes salt, so add salt if needed)
- Slice up some celery in 1/2" chunks

* Tony's is a southern seasoning shaker, many states don't have it, so add whatever your favorite seasoning blend is for spice and flavor. I like Tony's because it goes on anything. Contains garlic powder, red pepper, and other secret spices.

That's it for mine. You can add whatever else or replace mayo with mustard or sour cream or something. Can add anything from previous post also.

Toast bread for more crunchiness.

Rayn
09-24-2008, 01:37 PM
chicken salad made with mayo is not health food.

Feannag
09-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Buy chicken cutlets (chicken breasts pounded/tenderized flat), some sliced ham, baby spinach, any kind of Italian cheese of blend, and ditalini paste (looks like macaroni cut real short/small).

1. Boil water for pasta, salt and oil.
2. Lay out cutlets, spread layer of ham, spinach, and cheese on each.
3. Starting with the small end and roll each up as tight as you can. Once rolled, secure each with 2 - 3 toothpicks.
4. Slather each chicken roll in dijon mustard.
5. Roll each mustard-slathered chicken roll in bread crumbs until coated.
6. Sear in an over-proof skillet (preferably cast iron with a lid) on all sides with some oil.
7. With all chicken rolls in skillet, lid and transfer to 400 degree oven and finish there for 20 minutes.
8. Serve rolls on bed of ditalini pasta.

timecode
09-25-2008, 06:03 PM

yeah, but oh well. at least it's something. ill use light mayo :D

izod
09-26-2008, 03:36 AM
cutlets do NOT need to be cooked that long, in that hot of an oven, especially after being seared.

talk about dry chicken, bleh

trop
09-27-2008, 05:56 PM
chicken tacos are ****in delicious

Exodus
09-29-2008, 03:26 PM

-

-

How do you boil a shandwich?

kloa
09-29-2008, 04:17 PM
learn2read

Feannag
09-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Seriously Exodus. It's not a typo, there is such a thing as broil. And the general definition for broiling is "upside down grilling". If you have a toaster oven it has a broil function on it. Which basically turns the top heating elements to max.

Ratorasniki
10-01-2008, 03:00 AM
yeah, but oh well. at least it's something. ill use light mayo :D

i don't mean to derail, but i do feel the need to point something out. there's no such thing as light mayo, really. mayonnaise in it's most basic form is an emulsion of egg yolk and oil, with a little vinegar. the only thing you can really do is use comparatively healthy oil. it's still ****ing horrible for you.

it's like women who come into my restaurant and say they'll "just have a salad", and then they get a plate of caesar salad. I know it's lettuce, but it's also probably the most unhealthy thing on the menu, with the possible exception of the duck.

izod
10-02-2008, 01:29 AM
i wouldnt say its horrible for you, that is if you make it yourself.

Crypt
10-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2 cups of cooked cubed chicken breast (I bake 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe, seems to be enough)
1 small onion diced
2 stalks of celery diced
1 can of cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken)
1 empty soup can of water
1 cup of minute rice
1 cup of frozen corn
Place all ingredients in a caserole dish, mix well, then bake at 350 (about 20 minutes) until mixture is bubbling.

Remove from oven, open and place 1 can of Pilsbury biscuits on top of mixture, return to oven until biscuits are golden brown. Remove, let cool (this **** is molten lava at this point), enjoy.

Fairly quick, not totally healthy but not too bad either and it tastes good.

CarpeIppon
10-12-2008, 05:49 AM

Olive oil is not unhealthy. Eggs are not unhealthy. Mayo made with olive oil & eggs is not by itself unhealthy. Only if you use tons of it.

Rayn
10-13-2008, 01:57 PM
I didn't say mayo was unhealthy.