t-556792 Tried brining for the first time this weekend [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

Tried brining for the first time this weekend

sargonnas9
09-11-2008, 10:23 PM
3 lbs of chicken breast
3/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar

@30 minutes in the fridge = Damn fine juicy chicken. I've marinated plenty before, but this method seemed to leave the chicken even more moist.

For dinner I chopped up the chicken and put it on a platter with whole grain rice, red beans, guac, shredded cheese and sour cream. Nothing special but tasty as hell nonetheless.

Vintage
09-11-2008, 11:08 PM
brining means to leave in water along with salt and other flavors

izod
10-02-2008, 01:31 AM
next time try leaving it overnight ;)

ZOD
10-02-2008, 03:50 PM

Yes this make a huge difference when marinading.

Paladin-5
10-02-2008, 07:45 PM
I brined a whole red snapper a couple weeks ago then smoked it for 3 hours...it was quite tasty.
Only brined for about 3 hours.

Conversely I also brined two small whole fish at the same time, which came out really salty and unedible

Ratorasniki
10-02-2008, 08:52 PM

What he said. 30 minutes isn't enough time for it to have much of an effect. It probably needs at least four hours. For best results (and this is getting into the realm of investing way too much time) you should brine it overnight a few days before you want to serve your bird, and then leave it to air dry uncovered in your fridge (which is naturally a very dry environment) overnight as well (or at least for a good six hours, say). If you're a skin person, you'll end up with about the crispiest skin you've ever had short of like peking duck (which employs a similiar air drying method as one of the ways of attaining super crispy skin).

Ravyn
10-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Careful with the times you're suggesting guys, depending on what he is brining, and what he's including in his brine, a whole day, or several days can significantly break down the tissue of the meat, turning it from something nice and tender/juicy to mush. If you're just doing a simply water/salt/spice/herb brine, I'd say overnight is ok for most proteins, leaving out any particularly delicate fish. Several days and you'll be disappointed in the results.

If you want to include some sort of alcohol or acid (citrus) in your brine (popular choice in the restaurant industry), then I'd cut the brining time down to 4-6 hours, 8 hours max.

That said, 30 minutes, as said above, isn't going to make a whole heck of an impact on your meal.