[story tyme!] Some friendly tips if you plan on getting carpet installed

Ixiterra

Veteran XV
Bought a condo that needs a lot of work, including carpeting. I had originally measured the 3 bedrooms to be about 550 sq ft. I finally got the rooms ready over the weekend for carpetting, so I scheduled an appointment with Empire.

Empire guy comes over, does his measurement and says it's 729 sq. ft. I tell him I measured around 550, and he says it's due to waste because of the room layouts. Carpet comes in 12' widths almost always, and the master bedroom is 11x17 plus a 6' hallway to the bathroom and closet, and the closet is about 8 feet deep. So I figured it might be possible, but I planned on checking up more on it after he left.

So I say I'm looking for mid-grade carpet. His quote for that was $3,200 (2,500 for low grade, 4,000 for high grade). Then after like 15 seconds he says I'll make you a deal for $2,500. It seemed like a deal so a few minutes later I said ok, which I shouldn't have done but live and learn.

I check the internet after that and find out it's a common scam for the salespeople to overestimate the amount of carpet. I decide to have Luna come over the next day (Chicago area only AFAIK).

He comes, measures 660 sq. ft. Worst case scenario, I had gotten 680 sq. ft. from taking "carpet" measurements. So that was cool. He says 3k for high, 2.5k for mid, 2k for low. He checks on the color I want, out of stock. So he says he'll do it for 2k but I have to wait 2-3 weeks. So I look into the high end (which is pretty damn nice) and the same color is in stock, he'll keep the deal at 2.5k.

At this point, being a little more savvy, I tell him that I'm not comfortable going with only one quote and that I want to get some quotes from the Depot and Lowes before I sign anything unless he can make it worth my while to sign it right now. High end carpet, 8lbs density padding, installed for $2.1k.

Cliffs:

• Carpet salespeople start out with a really high number but will usually bring it down quickly.
  • They may overestimate the measuring on purpose, so learn how to measure for carpet and have the number handy ahead of time.
  • Don't commit until they have dropped the price a second time. Say you want to wait until you get quotes from other installers.
  • Don't get the cheapest padding. It's only a little bit more for the middle range stuff and it feels a lot nicer.

Despite what whoever "quotes" you a price, the carpet industry has run on Square Yards for the last 30+ yrs. Carpet is either in 12 or 15 ft. increments. That's the only way it's manufactured, 12' is the standard, and approx. 10-15% is in 15' goods, and normally in only the higher end products. The simple price per/square ft.(the industry is trying to switch over to this, because Home Depot and Lowes have pushed it, and 3.00/square ft. sounds better than 27.00/square yd.=the same dollars to you.) is not indicative of how much material you need, and you need to encompass the size manufactured to the amt. you need. I.E., if you have a 10' x 10' room, you don't need 100 sq. ft., you have to buy a 10' x 12' piece of goods, 120 sq. ft., or 13.33 sq. yds. And despite all of this mumbo jumbo, you should make sure that the installation of your carpet is done by experienced, and quality installers, or else you'll be pissed. If you get a bad job(which normally HD, and Lowe's provide), you'll not be satisfied w/ the seaming of your job, and they guarentee zip, notta, nothing. A floorcovering store is more likely to have quality workmanship, and will have to stand behind the job.

Last edited:
Yeah Luna guaranteed installation free of any defects. And I asked the guy if they used subcontractors to install (which Empire does) and he said no, it's all in house. There are horror stories for both companies available on the internet though.

You paid 2.1K for 680sq ft of carpet? Is that normal? That sounds a little bit too high, but I'm not from the Chicago (thought you were from NYC) area

Yeah Luna guaranteed installation free of any defects. And I asked the guy if they used subcontractors to install (which Empire does) and he said no, it's all in house. There are horror stories for both companies available on the internet though.
GL Ixt., sounds like you have a decent company doing your work for you. Having said that, don't expect/demand invisible seams, what you should expect/demand is seams that are not seperated(gapped), or visably intrusive, as in obviously/in your face noticable, but don't expect invisibility, it happens, but isn't to be expected.

You paid 2.1K for 680sq ft of carpet? Is that normal? That sounds a little bit too high, but I'm not from the Chicago (thought you were from NYC) area

Well it is the high end stuff remember. And there is a very noticeable feel difference between the high and mid. I couldn't really tell a difference between the low and mid. If I went low, I guess I could have probably gotten it for 1.2-1.4k.

GL Ixt., sounds like you have a decent company doing your work for you. Having said that, don't expect/demand invisible seams, what you should expect/demand is seams that are not seperated(gapped), or visably intrusive, as in obviously/in your face noticable, but don't expect invisibility, it happens, but isn't to be expected.

Well there will only be 1 seam in the master bedroom, and it should be at the hallway entrance which is no biggie imo, and will only be 2'6" wide. The other two rooms are 10x13 and 11x14, so no seams there.

Back