Twilight Imperium

-Dark-Angel-

Veteran XV
So.. a friend and i played a few games of axis & allies a couple weeks ago and got really into it.

Well.. i looked online and found a board game called Twilight Imperium that really caught my eye.. so i ran out and bought it for a whopping 90 dollars.

me and a few other people played a few games this weekend.. and i have to say.. this board game is better than any PC or console game I've played. It's ranked one of the top 20 strategic games of all time and it's unbelievably fun.

If you like strategic board games like RISK or Axis & Allies.. you really should check this game out.. it fucking rocks.

Twilight Imperium Third Edition

Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition | BoardGameGeek

It's fun, it takes forever, and it's pretty much guaranteed to piss off at least one of the people playing it every time it's played.

Still a good game though

well.. hmm.. good call..

i dunno man this is one fun ass game... especially for a board game.. Always been a fan of RISK and Axis & Allies.. never considered them better than PC games.. but this game ranks for sure..

I cant answer untill i've played this as long as i played Tribes..

so i'll get back to you in a couple years. :roller:

It's not a good game to play a lot

however, that depends on how many people you have to play. 8 people is optimum, I usually play around 6-7 people though

I own the 2nd Edition and I have played the 3rd Edition. It's a very good game.

Another very good Strategy game is A Game of Thrones. This is one that pays certain homage to the old Avalon Hill game, Diplomacy. Very fun with 5 or 6 players with a facet of there being no Dice Rolling to determine the outcome of anything. It's all about planning, timing, bluffing and guile.

pic112627.jpg

time to do the table cloth trick

im gonna get the expansion this weekend probably.. 150+ dollars on anything let alone a board game is unheard of from me.. but it's worth it.

Have you ever heard of a game called Advanced Squad Leader? (It was recently purchased by MultiMan Publishing - Kurt Schilling's company)

MultimanPublishing.com
Advanced Squad Leader - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a screenshot of the computer version, which is basically like a board on the computer. You can't "play" it. You just move pieces.
banzai!!.png

It's basically a WWII squad-based board game that has ways to simulate pretty much anything that could happen in combat. There's a giant rulebook to go with it and dozens of modules, although they have starter kids.

It's crazy how detailed the game is. You have to consider weapon jams, wind, crops, tanks, weather, fire, etc.

The learning curve must be something like 6 months to a year. Even the starter kit probably takes a few months to really learn. I've only tried to play it with the complete basics, and even that was too confusing.

Spoiler

Have you ever heard of a game called Advanced Squad Leader? (It was recently purchased by MultiMan Publishing - Kurt Schilling's company)

MultimanPublishing.com
Advanced Squad Leader - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a screenshot of the computer version, which is basically like a board on the computer. You can't "play" it. You just move pieces.
banzai!!.png

It's basically a WWII squad-based board game that has ways to simulate pretty much anything that could happen in combat. There's a giant rulebook to go with it and dozens of modules, although they have starter kids.

It's crazy how detailed the game is. You have to consider weapon jams, wind, crops, tanks, weather, fire, etc.

The learning curve must be something like 6 months to a year. Even the starter kit probably takes a few months to really learn. I've only tried to play it with the complete basics, and even that was too confusing.

Spoiler

Welcome to the wargaming crowd, where games like Star Fleet Battles roam.

Twilight Imperium always felt like what Master of Orion (the first) would have been had it been a board game.

Also, there is a space/sci-fi Settlers of Catann out now.

Back