t-554474 French Onion Soup [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

French Onion Soup

hubble
08-24-2008, 10:30 PM
I made this.
It was amazing.
I still need to find the perfect bread for it though.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2q8admt.jpg

Null Space
09-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Looks good, I would like to know how you made it though.

hubble
09-03-2008, 04:50 PM
I took some onion soup mix, threw in some raw onions and cooked it til the onions were opaque and the soup was a little thicker than normal. Afterwards I put a piece of bread in it (that happened to be a french baguette) and topped it with swiss and mozzarella cheese. Put it in the toaster oven on BROIL until it turned that color.

Jinzo
09-03-2008, 05:23 PM
If I wasn't allergic to onions I would eat that soup

Travace
09-04-2008, 06:24 PM
i love that stuff... costco sells a frozen french onion soup that is surprisingly very good for some frozen ****.

Rayn
09-04-2008, 11:58 PM
This is a recipe I modified:

3 Vidalia or other sweet onion
2 red onion
3 Tbsp olive oil (extra virgin is absolutely not necessary)
1 can beef consomme
1 can beef broth unsalted
1.5 cups apple cider
salt
thyme, bay, parsley wrapped in cheesecloth so it can be easily removed

I don't do the bread or cheese.

- Slice the **** out of all those onions into half moon pieces no bigger than 1/4" thick.
- Take a large skillet or pan and throw in your oil, heat it up to medium and dump your huge stack of onions in there mixing salt in there to help them sweat, and it should be really, really huge.
- Now walk away for 20 minutes, don't stir it, let it sweat out.
- Reduce the heat slightly if the onions sound like they're frying.
- Stir occasionally and let it simmer down low and slow for about an hour. The onions should turn deep brown and sweet. If they're not brown after an hour, your heat was too low, let it keep going.
- Add in the spice and liquids, reduce to low and let simmer 20 minutes.

ok eat your onion soup.

hubble
09-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Rayn, this is a FRENCH ONION SOUP, not an Onion Soup. I enjoy the kind gesture, but seriously, that needs a new thread.

Rayn
09-05-2008, 08:12 AM
french onion soup is just a beef broth based onion soup.

Vintage
09-11-2008, 11:07 PM
i have a very very good french onion soup recipe that i can give you guys and it's easy. i'll post it tomorrow when i have time to look for it

scandal
10-15-2008, 05:49 PM
i have a very very good french onion soup recipe that i can give you guys and it's easy. i'll post it tomorrow when i have time to look for it

bump. Post it!

Rho
10-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Dude the cheese/bread is the best part! Especially if you splurge and get Gruyère.

Vintage
10-16-2008, 06:46 PM
*** = Note, you should read these.

***If you plan on melting cheese on top make sure you have a proper soup bowl that won't get ****ed up in your oven under high heat.

Simple but delicious French Onion Soup

Ingredients

1/4 cup of butter/margarine (I prefer butter)
3 onions (preferably sweet) sliced in thin cresents

***If you don't know how to do this just take the whole onion, cut it in half, lay on half on the cutting board and cut into the slices.

1 tsp of sugar (you can just eye this it won't make a huge difference)
1 tbsp of flour
2 1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup of red cooking wine or regular wine.

***For this recipe i use a very fruity wine and personally I think it makes the dish.

2 (should be around 10 1/2 ounce each) cans of beef broth

OPTIONAL:
A loaf of thick crusty bread (I prefer italian; get enough for at least 4 slices)
Gruyere or swiss cheese (as much as you want)

How to prepare

1. Over medium heat melt the butter in a large sauce pan (a big pot) and cook the sliced onions+sugar until caramelized (should be soft, sweet, and golden brown)
2. Stir in the flour until blended with the onions
3. Add the water, wine, and beef broth
4. Heat to boiling
5. Reduce to low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or so.

FOR BREAD AND CHEESE (OPTIONAL):

Put a slice of bread on top of the soup bowl (with soup in it durh) and cheese and broil under high until perfectly melty.

***Keep your oven door slightly open and keep an eye on it. Don't walk away or you're ****ed.

Serve and Enjoy!