Partition not showing XP

juzfugen

Veteran X
I have a 400 gig hard drive partitioned into 2, the first C: - a 120 gigs is where XP is located. I just reformatted that partition and reinstalled XP, updated to SP2 and its not showing the second partition.

any idea?

Right-click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management

You will see the partition there. Assign it a drive letter.

ok thanks, now that I see it, when I click to open it or explore it I get a pop up telling me its not formatted. I don't want to format it, it has data on it, so how do I access it

you're fucked. time to grab a data recovery utility.
not necessarily, if he formatted it with a file system that windows doesn't recognize then that's normal (though I can't really imagine this being the case)

Anyway, my first two tries would be UBCD for Windows and then the GParted live CD.

also, exactly what the fuck did you do to that hard drive?

It was originally formatted with ntfs

The c drive is my main partition and had/has XP on it, the larger partition I used to store music, movies and a lot of other stuff.

I got a trojan/virus on my C drive and could not get rid of it, I visited a few malware sites, posted hijackthis logs and no matter what I did this thing would not go away.

so I backed up some essential files and moved most of the others to my second partition (Fdrive) and then reformatted and installed Xp on C.

Back