tw help me pic a video card.

Nail Bomb

Banned
so i am torn between a few cards. i'll just get right into this.

Right now i have a geforce 8600 its a 128-bit card and its :( for gaming on a 22 inch monitor.

the games i play now aren't even that graphic intensive. I like to mess around with my friends in wow, I am definitely going to want to give war hammer a run when it comes out as well. my current card is keeping me from gaming becasue i have to mess with everything to get a consistent frame rate.

so i am torn between this; GeForce 9800 GX2
Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGE981024GX2E GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

or this; Radeon HD 4850
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100242L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

All of the benchmarks i see the 9800 x2 is really impressive. The price of the ATI cant be beat though.

I guess what i am asking tw is... what card to you think i will get the most use out of? i really cant see a $175.00 ATI card playing "new games" 2 years later. After all the 9800 is a dual core card. Any of you guys have this 9800 GX2? if so then what do you think? or should i not even fuck with the 9800 and jump right to the GeForce GTX 200 Series?

halp.

4850, no doubt

i am looking at this 2-3 years down the road.

nobody knows how ATI's driver support is going to be, Also when they start to code in that phycis stuff will ati users be fucked over? I want to able to use this card for sometime as i dont play high end pc games much anymore.

The GX2 far outperforms the 4850. It's strange you would be comparing two cards from different classes. If cost is no issue, I'd go with the GX2. But it sounds to me like you should do some more homework. Consider a GX 280, and also a Radeon 4870.

I have an Asus 4870 ($285), and it obliterates games like CoD4 and Oblivion (the only two games I really play).

The GX2 far outperforms the 4850. It's strange you would be comparing two cards from different classes. If cost is no issue, I'd go with the GX2. But it sounds to me like you should do some more homework. Consider a GX 280, and also a Radeon 4870.

I have an Asus 4870 ($285), and it obliterates games like CoD4 and Oblivion (the only two games I really play).

I am doing a server/gaming pc upgrade, if i buy the raid card and hdds later (i really don't need the storage now and it will only cost less if i wait) i can get the GX2 now. Or i could get the 4870 right now with the hdd stuff.

benchmarks are nice but i'd rather owners of said cards tell me what they think.

Get the 4850. The 9800GX2 is $400, the 4850 is less than 1/2 that. Save the difference and in 2-3 years buy another $200 card that will put the 9800GX2 to shame.

I think this is what i will end up doing.

I really don't play next gen games that much anymore so this sounds ideal.

Just right click on the picture of a video card and select Copy Image location. Then, copy into a post using the
tags.

Done. Easy.

Ati_Firegl_V7350_1gb_Gddr3_PCI_Express_Dual_DVI_Stereo_3D_Video_Card.jpg

Back