[SLI] Has it gotten any better?

VGX

Veteran XX
Should I SLI 2 8800GT overclocked? I have a PCP&C Silencer 750 so power isn't an issue. Some say its not worth it while others swear by it. NOT a debate thread on ati/crossfire vs. nvidia/sli.

(and yes i have money to waste for that crowd)

TW;s thoughts/opinions.

two 4870s is currently the fastest configuration. a single 4870 is going to perform better on average than two 8800gts.

two 4870s is currently the fastest configuration. a single 4870 is going to perform better on average than two 8800gts.

really? did you not even read my post? im not buying a 4870 because i already have everything but the other 8800.

aight so if gaming at max res on a 22" widescreen you dont need sli?

SLI is a waste of money anyway (I have dual 8800GTX).

Only buy if 24" monitor or higher.
Only buy if you have NOTHING better to spend money on.
I don't regret my purchase...only because I refuse to think about it.

way to change the subject, virgin

My kids are asleep and my wife wants to fuck (lol naptown lol enjoy spankin it)
I hope to see more input when i check in later but im sure it will just be naptown kuragaying my thread.

stop responding and giving him something to do

if u ignore him maybe he'll stop spending so much time on the computer

exercise is good for you naptown it makes u not so angsty/angry

really? did you not even read my post? im not buying a 4870 because i already have everything but the other 8800.

No, not really. It's currently 2xGTX280s. At least until the 4870X2 is released (I would have gone with a pair of those if I hadn't gotten traded up to a pair of GTX280s for free... or if I didn't have to swap out my motherboard for it...)

Not a real benchmark, but I personally think that this gives you a better reference than the raw numbers.

As for SLIing your current card, go for it (if you have a monitor 24" or larger, like others said). SLI nowadays will usually yield a 50-80% increase depending on the application. Sometimes it's 0%, however, if the developers don't take advantage of it at all. (Although you can sometimes get it to work with one of the alternate frame rendering modes.)

Another thing to note for other people is the difference between the 9800GX2 and the GTX280. The GX2 as it currently stands will give you higher average framerates than the GTX in certain games, however the GTX280 will tend to have higher minimum framerates, which I think is also very important. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Last edited:
Back