windows xp keeps restarting

norty

Veteran X
So after having troubles with Ubuntu restarting randomly (because of some bug with my video card and the x server) I reinstalled windows xp today which I've never had any problems with. Now for some reason it keeps going to the blue screen of death and then right away it restarts. I don't understand why. I have installed the drivers that came with all the hardware I got 3 years ago. I updated the video drivers to the newest ones I could find. It doesn't seem like I need to get any windows updates since it's not giving me the option to. What could be the problem?

System specs:
AMD Athlond 64 3700+
K8N Platinum mobo
Geforce 6800 GT

spstnd9.gif

disable "reboot on bluescreen", google for it
write down bluescreen message, google for it
check systemlog for any error messages
does it bluescreen after a certain time or after a certain action?
uninstall all 2nd hand drivers (video, sound, etc) see if you got the same problem
remove all none needed hardware, see if you got the same problem

If you googled your errors already and still can findout wtf is going on....When you reinstalled XP did you install an antivirus program before you updated windows and all that good stuff?? In some situations if you install or update system related files while the antivirus is running it can cause errors.

Yeah, boot with your Ubuntu CD and run the memory checker for 10 minutes, betcha find something.

When the errors come up just keep in mind that low power from the PSU or any number of mobo problems can affect memory too.

Back