So my new puppy is sick...

JodoFett

Contributor
Veteran XX
Upper respiratory infection, trying to treat it with antibiotics but it might be Distemper. I think it is because it seems like she is getting worse and I am really worried about her. :(

puppy8.JPG

Another vet visit this friday, hopefully we can get her over this thing. She's been a really great pup so far though we've only had her for 5 days or so at this point. Also, today we discovered she can already jump the gate we bought to keep her in the kitchen at times.

EDIT: 6/27 - Puppy still sick but doing much better, I think she'll be alright. New pics on page 4

EDIT: 7/6 - She is doing a lot better, she definitely doesn't have Distemper or anything like that and her respitory infection seems to be almost gone. Looking great, she is growing crazy fast, and I may take some pics tomorrow.

EDIT: 7/10 - She is pretty much cured, still a little bit of a runny nose but it's nearly gone, will likely schedule a vet visit for about a week out. More pics on page 5.

EDIT: 7/21 - She's fine - healthy pup. Page 6

Last edited:
i thought that was a pretty common thing with young dogs/cats

Respiratory infections are and most are bacterial or whatever so drugs/antibiotics work. Distemper is viral and has no cure, it is usually fatal.

I'm hoping it is just kennel cough but the antibiotics don't appear to be having much effect yet.

Takes a while to get rid of it; or, it could be heartworms.

She has a really runny/snotty noise. And we already got her diagnosed at the vet who basically said it's probably kennel cough but I guess distemper has been going around in our area.

Respiratory infections are and most are bacterial or whatever so drugs/antibiotics work. Distemper is viral and has no cure, it is usually fatal.

I'm hoping it is just kennel cough but the antibiotics don't appear to be having much effect yet.

My dog had Kennel Cough when it was a pup. Sounds like a honking goose.

Internet shit for doggies + kennel cough (check with vet)

Keeping your dog warm, quiet and free from drafts
Removing your dog's collar to prevent excessive coughing stimulation
Encouraging your dog to drink plenty of fresh water
Providing wet food just in case your dog's throat is sore and irritated
You can provide additional relief for your pet by giving him a vaporizing treatment three times a day. Run a hot shower in your bathroom and let the steam build up with the door closed. Take your dog into the bathroom and let him breathe in the steam for 20 minutes. The vapor will help open his bronchial tubes, which in turn makes his coughs more productive. This will enable your dog to rid himself of more of the phlegm clogging his airways

Well there you go. Hope it's not Distemper. Keep it away from other dogs. If it starts losing muscle coordination or develops a twitch on the top of its head -- then probably Distemper. If it makes it through it could have neurological problems. High case of dying probability.

Good Luck.

are you sure it's not parvo, kinda sounds like it but I would need more details. I worked as an ER vet tech and took care of a lot of puppies with it.

Back