Is there a difference between an EMT and a Paramedic

The Difference Between an EMT and a Paramedic - EMT vs Paramedic - Paramedic or EMT

The biggest differences between paramedics and EMTs are the training and the scope of practice (what they are allowed to do). Basic EMTs usually receive 120 - 150 hours of training, while paramedics get anywhere from 1,200 hours to 1,800 hours of training. Paramedic programs often award two-year degrees.

The scope of practice differences between EMTs and paramedics can be summed up by the ability to break the skin. Most states do not allow basic emergency medical technicians to give shots or start intravenous lifelines. Paramedics, on the other hand, can give shots as well as use more advanced airway management devices to support breathing. Basic EMTs are usually restricted to using oxygen, glucose, asthma inhalers, and epinephrine auto-injectors (a common exception to the no-needles rule). Paramedics are trained in the use of 30-40 medications, depending on the state.

If they're fat they're an EMT if they're skinny they're a paramedic.

Not joking.

Hah!

That whole "breaking skin" thing doesn't apply to me as an EMT. I can start IV's of saline, ringers or D5W. I can give SQ epi, IM glucagon, and IV D50. I can also use more advanced airways like King LT's and LMA's.

Hah!

That whole "breaking skin" thing doesn't apply to me as an EMT. I can start IV's of saline, ringers or D5W. I can give SQ epi, IM glucagon, and IV D50. I can also use more advanced airways like King LT's and LMA's.
Are you a special type of EMT, like for a division of the Armed Forces or something? Even ER Techs here in Cali can't do that.

Emergency Medical Responder

9(1) An Emergency Medical Responder may, under medical control and with an ongoing medical audit, provide the following health services:

(a) conduct primary and secondary surveys, including scene assessments;
(b) use basic methods of managing medical, traumatic and obstetrical emergencies;
(c) use airway management techniques, including oropharyngeal airways, oral suction devices and oxygen‑supplemented mask devices to assist ventilation;
(d) administer oxygen using basic delivery devices including masks and nasal canula;
(e) bandaging;
(f) cardiopulmonary resuscitation;
(g) patient extrication;
(h) use splinting techniques, including spinal motion restriction devices;
(i) automated and semi‑automated defibrillation.

(2) An Emergency Medical Responder who

(a) satisfactorily completed a program approved by the Board before January 1, 2004 and who, on or after January 1, 2004, satisfactorily completed the gap training approved by the Board, or
(b) satisfactorily completed a program approved by the Board on or after January 1, 2004
may, under medical control and with an ongoing medical audit, provide the following additional health services:

(c) airway management using nasopharyngeal airways;
(d) patient ventilation using a bag‑valve mask device;
(e) oral administration of ASA;
(f) patient‑assist administration of the patient’s pre‑prescribed salbutamol, ipratropium bromide or epinephrine;
(g) glucometric testing and oral administration of glucose;
(h) apply and use traction splints;
(i) oximetry testing.

AR 48/93 s9;229/95;75/2007

Emergency Medical Responder

9.1 An Emergency Medical Responder may, under medical control and with an ongoing medical audit, provide the health services referred to in sections 10 and 12(1) while engaged

(a) in an ambulance practicum as part of a program approved under section 3, and while under the direct supervision of a registered Emergency Medical Technician‑Ambulance or a registered Emergency Medical Technologist‑Paramedic, or
(b) in a hospital practicum as part of a program approved under section 3, and while under the direct supervision of a physician or a registered nurse.

Emergency Medical Technician‑Ambulance

10(1) An Emergency Medical Technician‑Ambulance may, under medical control and with an ongoing medical audit, provide the following health services:

(a) emergency childbirth;
(b) apply and use traction splints;
(c) psychological support measures;
(d) maintain intravenous infusions without medications or blood products;
(e) glucometric testing and oral administration of glucose;
(f) patient ventilation using a bag‑valve mask device;
(g) oximetry testing;
(h) airway management using nasopharyngeal airways;
(i) the health services described in section 9(1).

(2) An Emergency Medical Technician‑Ambulance who

(a) satisfactorily completed a program approved by the Board before January 1, 2004 and who, on or after January 1, 2004, satisfactorily completed the gap training approved by the Board, or
(b) satisfactorily completed a program approved by the Board on or after January 1, 2004
may, under medical control and with an ongoing medical audit, provide the following additional health services:

(c) cardiac monitoring;
(d) perform peripheral intravenous therapy;
(e) intermediate airway management using non‑visualized airways;
(f) administer nitrous oxide and oxygen inhalational analgesia;
(g) administer nitroglycerine, salbutamol and ipratropium bromide;
(h) administer D25W and D50W through intravenous route;
(i) administer glucagon intramuscularly and administer epinephrine intramuscularly or subcutaneously;
(j) nasopharyngeal suctioning;
(k) the health services described in section 9(2).

AR 48/93 s10;75/2007

Emergency Medical Technician-Ambulance

10.1 An Emergency Medical Technician‑Ambulance may, under medical control and with an ongoing medical audit, provide the health services referred to in sections 11 and 12(2) while engaged

(a) in an ambulance practicum as part of a program approved under section 3, and while under the direct supervision of a registered Emergency Medical Technologist‑Paramedic, or

(b) in a hospital practicum as part of a program approved under section 3, and while under the direct supervision of a physician or a registered nurse.

AR 37/2000 s5

Emergency Medical Technologist‑Paramedic

11(1) An Emergency Medical Technologist‑Paramedic may, under medical control and with an ongoing medical audit, provide the following health services:

(a) airway management, including

(i) tracheal suction,
(ii) deep chest suctioning,
(iii) endotracheal intubation,
(iv) percutaneous transtracheal ventilation, and
(v) emergency cricothyrotomy;

(b) use of intermittent positive pressure breathing adjuncts;
(c) cardiac defibrillation, cardioversion, carotid sinus massage and telemetry transmission;
(d) topical, oral, sublingual, rectal, subcutaneous, intramuscular, intravenous, endotracheal or nebulized drug administration;
(e) needle thoracentesis;
(f) venipuncture for venous blood specimens;
(g) insertion of orogastric or nasogastric tubes;
(h) gastric lavage;
(i) the health services described in section 10.

(2) An Emergency Medical Technologist‑Paramedic who

(c) administer drugs through umbilical, intralingual, intradermal or intraosseous routes;
(d) initiate, monitor or maintain blood and blood product transfusions;
(e) obtain arterial blood samples;
(f) femoral venipuncture;
(g) perform intraosseous infusions;
(h) umbilical vein cannulation;
(i) nasotracheal intubation;
(j) use pacemakers;
(k) wound management;
(l) urinary catheterization;
(m) monitor chest tubes.[/CODE]

NAME THAT QUOTE!

"Well, a doctor cures people. A medic just makes them more comfortable, while they die"

Back