[Advice] Parking Ticket

I got a stupid parking ticket yesterday at lunch for being about 3 minutes over the meter limit. It's only $20.

However, the license plate number on the ticket is wrong. It's really close (an I is a T on the ticket) and when I search MY license plate # online, nothing comes up, but if I search for the one on the ticket, it's there.

Should I pay it? What are the odds these people find me?

It is only $20, and I don't want it to bite me in the ass later, but on the other hand, they fucked up.

if it didn't come under my license plate

i probably would not pay it

but then i'd probably get arrested

pay it, it's only 20 bucks. there is no way to ever find you though, so if you want to pawn your problem off on someone else this is your chance.

why would you have to fight it if they can't find you

i mean if his driver's license # is on it then they can but if not..

Point is that if they manage to track you down it winds up more of a hassle then $20.

Because the people entering the ticket into the system probably know how to read the chicken scratch correctly.
I'm sure they know if a ticket doesn't enter correctly, to try replacing T's with I's and so on. Heck, I bet the system comes up with a best match and gives them a few choices.

One ticket won't kill you. Can always check your records in a few months to see if anything is there. But I think they'll enter it correctly.

To get revenge, boycott the city. Don't eat at restaurants, or buy gas there. They lose out on tax money and tips to workers. Same crap happened to me in Ft. Lauderdale. I wrote the commissioners, the Mayor, and told them I wouldn't be back. They said I was being childish. Then I see articles in the paper a few months later saying the city is going broke. To this day we don't go back, we stay out west in Plantation.

Last edited:
You will win in court if the license plate on the ticket is not yours and if you do not admit at any time in court that the citation is referring to your vehicle.

In court you are simply saying that the ticket is not issued to your vehicle and thus you are not under any obligation to pay for it.

If the parking inspector/police officer choose to testify in court they may try and make you take the stand in order that you will incriminate yourself by admitting it was your car. You are under no obligation to do this.

The magistrate/judge will throw this case out and it will teach the inspector/officer involved to take more care when writing tickets.

I have been in court and experienced this very thing although it was in Australia (in which the court system and operation is very similar to the USA). The case I saw was in regards to fella called Harry Ikon (whom we were helping) who was up on charges of driving an unregistered vehicle (no tags). The Magistrate was going to throw out the charges because the number of the engine block on the citation was not the number on Harry's car (one letter/number was wrong) and thus the citation was not for Harry's car.

Harry lost because he was nervous and was compelled to take the stand (he wanted to make a political statement) and in doing so he incriminated himself by admitting it was his vehicle involved in the offence.

Remember staying relevant is everything in a court room. The court hearing is there to determine whether you are liable for the fine in the citation. If the vehicle listed in the citation is not your then you are not liable. It is as simple as that.

I would challenge it simply for the fact that winning in a court room is an excellent life experience. Also remember to show the utmost respect for the Judge/Magistrate as he is the captain of the ship in his court room.

To get revenge, boycott the city. Don't eat at restaurants, or buy gas there. They lose out on tax money and tips to workers. Same crap happened to me in Ft. Lauderdale. I wrote the commissioners, the Mayor, and told them I wouldn't be back. They said I was being childish. They I see articles in the paper a few months later saying the city is going broke. To this day we don't go back, we stay out west in Plantation.

It's the same in Canada at least. I've had two tickets like that, never heard from them again and there are no records of the tickets anywhere. (I went in there and asked if I had any outstanding parking tickets)

Back