[advice] Audio Technica or Sennheiser

veritas

Veteran-4
I know quite a few of you here are audiophiles so I figured I would pose this question here.

Which cans would be better overall for long term use for everything media related.(comfort,SQ, improvement from amplification later)

Audio Technica ATHA700s ~$120
316WKJCQNML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

or

Sennheiser HD280 Pros. ~$75
Sennheiser_HD_280_Pro.jpeg

Now I've had the Sennheisers before, but I sold the pair due the fact that my buddy loved them, didn't wanter to order online and kept pestering me about them, and I wasn't putting a lot of use on them at that point. My only real beef with them was after about an hour my ears would start to hurt, they would rest on top a portion of my ears.

What are your experiences? Whichwould you chose, and why? Or if you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Cliffs:
Audio Technica A700s or Sennheiser HD 280 pro or other
For comfort and overall SQ/future use with amp.

find a pair of refurb'd Sennheiser HD595's, they are fucking amazing. I love mine, I can wear them all day with no discomfort.

do it
do it
do it
say yes
do it

I was kind of leery about them cuz they look, kind of weird the way the headband wraps down around the front of the earpads. Ironically the 9th image under google images brings up A700s :p.

Edit: I forgot to mention initially I LOVE the DJ style cans that you can twist the earpieces on.

I used the HD280s for a couple months. I got them because I wanted some closed, circumaural headphones for music at work, but they didn't leave enough room around the ears for me. I'm used to HD600s, which have much more room. I looked at alternatives a couple weeks ago and the A700s looked great, but I ended up getting the HD25-1 II instead. Between those two I would get the A700s.

I used the HD280s for a couple months. I got them because I wanted some closed, circumaural headphones for music at work, but they didn't leave enough room around the ears for me. I'm used to HD600s, which have much more room. I looked at alternatives a couple weeks ago and the A700s looked great, but I ended up getting the HD25-1 II instead. Between those two I would get the A700s.

How are the HD25-1 IIs ? I was looking at them and heard great things, they just don't look very comfy since they aren't circumaural.

I had the HD280s once... Personally I thought their bass response was seriously lacking. The HD595s I have now are much better, IMO. The bass is still a bit light, but nothing a little bit of EQ can't fix (though I would like to give the HD650s a try someday.)

Haven't had a chance to hear any Audio Technica headphones yet so I can't say anything about the A700.

I was kind of leery about them cuz they look, kind of weird the way the headband wraps down around the front of the earpads. Ironically the 9th image under google images brings up A700s :p.

Edit: I forgot to mention initially I LOVE the DJ style cans that you can twist the earpieces on.

You're looking at them wrong, the 595 headband wraps around the back of the earpads.

:shrug: I don't really know anything about the A700s or the 280s..all I know is that i've had three separate pairs of Sennheisers before and they've all been incrementally amazing. I can't imagine getting much better than my HD595s for the price.

How are the HD25-1 IIs ? I was looking at them and heard great things, they just don't look very comfy since they aren't circumaural.
They were more than comfortable enough with the stock pleather ear pads, and they feel even better with the velour pads. The sound quality is great - a significant step up from the 280s. You might've read about the sound quality with the stock steel cable not being so great. I thought it was acceptable, but I tried the copper cable from my 600s and they definitely sounded better.

They were more than comfortable enough with the stock pleather ear pads, and they feel even better with the velour pads. The sound quality is great - a significant step up from the 280s. You might've read about the sound quality with the stock steel cable not being so great. I thought it was acceptable, but I tried the copper cable from my 600s and they definitely sounded better.

That's what I was worried about with them, from what I've read cables can be quite expensive. I know people pay a boatload for cardas cables. I just want to be able to expand later but not HAVE to to get good sound off the bat.

I had the HD280s once... Personally I thought their bass response was seriously lacking. The HD595s I have now are much better, IMO. The bass is still a bit light, but nothing a little bit of EQ can't fix (though I would like to give the HD650s a try someday.)

Haven't had a chance to hear any Audio Technica headphones yet so I can't say anything about the A700.

That's because they were made for audio engineers who need a cheap pair of headphones with a somewhat flat frequency response, to be used for tracking and general monitoring in high noise environments.

They are not meant for people that want emphasized low end.

That's because they were made for audio engineers who need a cheap pair of headphones with a somewhat flat frequency response, to be used for tracking and general monitoring in high noise environments.

They are not meant for people that want emphasized low end.
HD280 frequency response -- That is faaaaaaaar from flat.

HD595 response for comparison

Now, if you happen to like the HD280's sound, I have no problem with that... but it's definitely nowhere near what I would call 'somewhat flat', nor does the HD595 have emphasized low end.

280 pros are great. i'd also strongly recommend the sony mdr-7506.
go into a guitar center and see if they'll let you try these two out. i don't think you'd be disappointed with either.

are these for monitoring stuff? or just for casual use?
definitely shell out money for decent monitors instead of headphones if you're going to be trying to mix stuff

HD280 frequency response -- That is faaaaaaaar from flat.

HD595 response for comparison

Now, if you happen to like the HD280's sound, I have no problem with that... but it's definitely nowhere near what I would call 'somewhat flat', nor does the HD595 have emphasized low end.

I said somewhat, and for headphones yes they are SOMEWHAT flat...
Most headphones, even the greatest, suffer from horrible frequency response compared to even a decent set of nearfields.

280 pros are great. i'd also strongly recommend the sony mdr-7506.
go into a guitar center and see if they'll let you try these two out. i don't think you'd be disappointed with either.

Yeap, both are great for monitoring and listening.

Back