Sub worth keeping?

Ryedon

Veteran XX
I have a sub (JL 12" W3) and it started to crack on the rubber that moves whenever the woofer hits. I replaced it, but still have the old one around. Is there any way of fixing this, or could it be fixed, or should I just throw it away?

there is a place down in st. petersburg called speakerworld that will refoam speakers. they are pretty well known around here. i'm sure there are other places that do the same thing

I've got this one sub that I've re-foamed twice and it still kicks.

Ordered 2 kits from these guys without probs:
DIY Speaker Repair Kits, Re-foam, Re-edge, New Foam Surrounds

More or less pick the kit you need based off of brand and measurements.

You get a kit with like 2 foams and some glue.

You'll need an extremely sturdy utility knife for cleaning the metal of glue and old foam. Then go to the dollar store and pick up some wooden clothespins to keep the new foam in place while it dries.

Fixing a $150 speaker for $20 beats buying a new one.

Electronic shops are what you're looking for. Call a few and see if they fix speakers. What you want fixed is a common thing, it's called re-coning. I'd had it done and it works. Here's a link to the place I used. If you can't find a local place, call them and see if you can ship your speaker.
Speakers
The web site doesn't look flashy, but believe me, they have 2 large buildings. One is an electronics shop, the other is the speaker shop.

Last edited:
Back