[MOVIE] Redbelt

Gangrel

Contributor
Veteran XV
Just saw it. Stars (that black assassin guy from Serenity) as a Jiu-Jitsu instructor who is introduced into the world of MMA. The movie is NOT about MMA, it is a normal character driven story.

It was freakin' great. It is definitely not for everyone. If you have seen other movies written/directed by David Mamet, you will understand. He is definitely a guy about understatement. More so about what isn't said than what is said. Very much like "Spartan" in the storytelling.

My girlfriend had some difficulty getting it at times, but when I pointed out the way Mamet works, she appreciated it.

So, if you like Mamet, like character dramas and like a little MMA, go see it.

If you expect a movie entirely about fighting, do not. If you don't like a little bit of thinking (not a lot though), do not.

3 Post-Fallout thumbs up.

Trailer: Apple - Trailers - Redbelt
(I think the 1st one is more representative of the movie than the second)

redbelttease.jpg

Just watched this movie tonight, I like it. The fighting isn't too incredible but overall a good movie.

I watched the preview a long while back when it was first coming out I figured it was gonna be about fighting.. I watch it all pumped up about some fights and it turned out to be shit.

Not saying the movie was bad but if you are expecting a fighting movie then don't watch it. It had good character story though.

Back