[Sew]The death of a monitor

[MD5]Hash

Veteran XV
So I woke up this morning, look over at my monitor, which was running some screensaver, and noticed it was all green...

So I did the whole power off, back on, check the cable for damage, re-insert said cable, etc, etc.

Yup, it's green, checking the "temperature" color settings, I found that red works, green works, but blue doesn't.

Anyways, this thing's a dinosaur, it's a Dell monitor from god knows how long ago, and now I need a new one.

So recommend some good monitors TW, you're my only hope.

a little sandpaper would probably bring some life back into that thing. make sure its a fine grain not the rougher type.

sandpaper-big.jpg

a little sandpaper would probably bring some life back into that thing. make sure its a fine grain not the rougher type.

sandpaper-big.jpg

You know what's really sad is I have 3 monitors altogether, a really old little 15 incher that has decided to permanently turn pink, this one turned green, and my cat ate the cable to my good monitor.

I tried fixing the cable but I still don't get a picture.

The price isn't bad, but more than I want to spend on a monitor, and LCD really isn't my thing, I've always much preferred the bulky CRT monitors.

may I ask why?

they're about the same price if not more, consume more electricity, have poorer image, are heavier and bigger.

Are you absolutely sure it is the monitor? My brother-in-law thought his monitor had lost a color only to discover that his video card went bad.

may I ask why?

they're about the same price if not more, consume more electricity, have poorer image, are heavier and bigger.

The last CRT I bought only cost me $99 and was perfect for me, LCD's are extremely finicky, there's too much shit to worry about, contrast ratios, refresh rates, supported resolutions.

The thing I love about CRTs is they just work, an they work really well. Instant refresh rates, great contrast ratios, not to mention they seem to last a lot longer. One of my monitors lasted me about 9 years, the other monitor, the one I'm using now is probably about 10 years old.

There's too much that can go wrong in LCDs, power supplies are cheap and burn out easily, screens can crack, electronics inside can short out. They're disposable computer screens. Not to mention they still don't look nearly as good, in my eyes, to a good CRT.

That isn't to say that I wouldn't mind having an LCD, but I really don't want to spend $150-$250 on a monitor.

Are you absolutely sure it is the monitor? My brother-in-law thought his monitor had lost a color only to discover that his video card went bad.

Absolutely positively 999% sure. I've seen this happen on several old CRT monitors, it just can't produce a certain color, monitors turn bright pink/red, blue, or green.

I have a 19" Sony Trinitron CRT in perfect condition stored away. Best monitor ever but i gave it up for a LCD and more room on my desk. I know you can't get them anymore and I have been wondering how much i could get for it on ebay.

im still using a 21 inch trinitron alongside my original 17 inch trinitron i got TEN YEARS AGO. 21 inch looks fucking amazing still. the 17 inch isnt quite as vibrant as i would like but that is easily fixed with a recalibration cable

I have a 19" Sony Trinitron CRT in perfect condition stored away. Best monitor ever but i gave it up for a LCD and more room on my desk. I know you can't get them anymore and I have been wondering how much i could get for it on ebay.
The tubes in a lot of HP monitors were Trinitron, including a HP A4576A I'm typing this on. It's listed as a 20" or 21" monitor but it's more like 19" and it cost me $30 on eBay (plus $65 to ship). I have the faint signature wire "shadows" across the screen.

I bought it to replace an HP A4575A (smaller screen) that died on me after 6+ years, and it was a "refurb" from my old job that had an unknown amount of time @ Bellsouth. Both monitors are/were capable of 2048x1536 @ 60Hz and handle any resolution below that like champ.

I've been tempted by some deals on LCD but I wouldn't get anything that couldn't handle at least the resolution I'm running my desktop at now (1600x1200) and for that I'd probably need a $300 flat panel. I still haven't seen any LCD screens that upscaled worth a damn though.

The other thing too is the fact that my desktop and monitor run 24/7, unless there's a power outage, they're up and running.

Even if I found one at a price I could afford and was decent enough that I actually liked it I'd still be worried about burning out the lamp in no time.

Back