t-53763 antareus's definitive Win2k tweak guide for T2 [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

antareus's definitive Win2k tweak guide for T2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

antareus
06-15-2001, 12:09 PM
Well, here's the list of tweaks I know for MS's best OS yet and the foundation for the upcoming XP.

Starting out
If you think your existing 2k install is fubared, install a fresh copy. If you have a 9x OS, don't do an upgrade install. The install is pretty straight forward, here are the high points:

You should decide whether you want to use ACPI or not. ACPI simplifies a lot of the configuration issues with PC hardware, but is notorious for having issues of its own. Do some research at deja.com and ntcompatible.com to see if your mobo properly supports it. If it does, there is no reason not to use ACPI.

June 4, 2003 update: Almost every mobo supports ACPI perfectly. In most cases it is not advantageous to disable it.

Should you have a reason to disable ACPI, then you must hit F5 when Win2k setup starts and it says "Press F6 now if you need to use a third-party SCSI or RAID driver." Real intuitive, eh? Then you can choose Standard PC from the list.

Use NTFS as your file system unless you have a reason to use FAT32. NTFS is self-repairing and considered more reliable than FAT32. I don't like converting someone's HD from FAT32 to NTFS, so if you're starting anew, definitely go with NTFS. If you wanna save your existing data, then stay with FAT32.

Order I install stuff:
1. OS: Win2k
2. Latest service pack: SP3
3. DirectX: DX 9
4. Vid driver: Det 12.41
5. MB driver: VIA 4-in-1's (w/o IDE driver, MS's is better)

Mobo drivers get installed last because SP2 has better Via support.

Reboot after installing each of those. Grand Masta D bragged he could install all of that with only one reboot, so he tried and rebooted to a BSOD. VGX. For your other devices install drivers and reboot when prompted.

The best thing to do is make a folder in your main hard drive and call it "Archive". Put all your drivers and stuff in there. I got into this habit and now I have every Detonator driver released since 5.32 :). But it is very handy.

Basic tweaks
Right now, your OS is clean. Check the memory usage in task manager. It should be around 55MB right after boot, with some service tweaking you can get it down to 46MB.

Go to device manager. A very quick way to get there that you might not know is by right clicking on my computer, and then choose manage. It opens up the Computer Management snap-in for the management console. This is the heart of your OS in one place, its pretty sweet.

Enable DMA on your IDE drives by expanding the IDE/ATAPI tree. Double click on the Primary IDE controller and choose Advanced Settings. These are the drives hooked up to your IDE chains on the computer. If the device type field is not grayed out, that means there isn't a device there. Change the device type to "None" and Win2k will not try to autodetect devices on boot, saving some time. Otherwise, if it is grayed out, verify that the Transfer Mode is set to DMA if available. DMA greatly speeds up disk performance and makes the computer more responsive. Do the same procedure on the Second IDE Channel. Reboot if any changes were made.

If you have a PS/2 mouse, note that it has an advanced properties page (in device manager) that lets you change the sampling rate on the mouse to 100hz and smooth it out.

Right click on your desktop, go to the settings tab, now click advanced. Go to the troubleshooting tab and move the graphics acceleration down one notch. It's been shown to actually increase performance.

Now go to the Sounds and Multimedia control panel. Click the audio tab, then click settings for sound playback. Ensure the speaker setup matches yours, and click performance. Move the slider to the far right. If you get glitchy sound, come back and move it one notch from the right. Click OK. Max out the acceleration for recording as well.

Advanced tweaks
Download the DirectX control panel (http://www.dvd-digest.net/downloads/files/misc/directxcpl.zip) and install it by unzipping it into c:\winnt\system32\ folder. Go to the control panels folder and open the DirectX control panel. Click on DirectSound and move the debug level slider to the far left.

Get TweakUI 1.33 (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/guide/tweakui.exe). Extract the contents to a directory, and then right click on the tweakui.inf file and choose install. Go to the control panel and load TweakUI. It has a ton of useful options, one of the best ones is allowing you to disable Active Desktop. AD has been known to eat memory since Win98, so make sure it's off, then untick "allow active desktop to be turned off/on" and "allow changes to active desktop." Everything else is just preference.

Get the Extensible Counter List Utility (http://download.microsoft.com/download/win2000platform/exctrlst/1.00.0.1/nt5/en-us/exctrlst_setup.exe) from MS. What performance counters do is monitor the performance of various aspects of your computer, most of which you probably don't care about. Run it, and sort by counter ID. For each counter listed in the box, click it, and untick the "Performance counters enabled" checkbox.

June 4th, 2003: disabling performance counters can cause more problems than the incredibly miniscule gains it can bring, so I don't recommend this. In particular, users installing Visual Studio 6.0 may have difficulties with some utilities included with it.

If you have an Nvidia-based card:
Right click on the desktop, click properties, then settings, then the advanced button, [vid card] options, click additional options. For 12.xx drivers, start with the Antialiasing tab, and choose to "Specify an antialiasing mode," and then choose Off. Under OpenGL, tick the first three boxes in the listview at the top, v-sync always off, use desktop color depth.

Download NVMax final release (http://filebox.vt.edu/users/magreen1/NVmax4.exe).
Set your OpenGL misc tab up like so:
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/magreen1/nvmax.gif

Addendum #1:
Here are the services I have set to start up automatically:
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/magreen1/services-to-enable.gif

BE SURE TO LEAVE PROTECTED STORAGE ON AUTOMATIC

Addendum #2:
Updated the services to show ones that I disable, and set a lot more of them to manual. You may want to check out the changes. I don't share files out, if you do, set the Server service to automatic. If you don't have a Zip drive, you may set the removable storage service to manual. Everything else is pretty essential, or gets started at boot regardless of being on manual or automatic. Note you CANNOT sidestep this by disabling them, you'll end up with a system that refuses to boot :).

Messenger service is disabled because it will receive messages from people on your LAN that steal focus from what you're doing. I've crashed people's computers sending them a message while in T2, since it handles alt-tabbing so gracefully. :rolleyes:

Remote Registry Service is disabled cuz I just don't like the idea of it.

Routing and Remote Access and the Utility Manager are both disabled because I have absolutely no use for them. Disabling the Utility Manager frees up the binding on Windows key-U.

Registry hacks
Not for the faint of heart. Also, don't try these on 98/ME/NT4. If you screw up you can render your computer inoperable, etc. In case you do, hit F8 when you boot up and choose "Last Known Good Configuration." If you're in doubt about something, then don't do it. Milliseconds and fps gained can never replace time spent restoring your system.

Still with me? I thought so. Start, Run, type "regedit". Open the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Explorer \RemoteComputer \NameSpace \

and delete the branch:
{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

Banshee. (note the period ;)) told me about this and it REALLY speeds up browsing the network. A bug in Win2k causes it to search for scheduled tasks on remote computers, resulting in a delay of up to 30 seconds when browsing other the network.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet \Control \FileSystem

Add a value of type DWORD named "DisableLastAccessUpdate" (no quotes) and set the data to "1" (no quotes) to prevent NT from tracking every single time a file is accessed.

More to come if I can find the other ones.

antareus

(05/02/02 Edit: NVmax link updated)
(06/04/03 Edit: more opinions, the guide is close to stale now. Someone want to make a new one?)

Glare
06-15-2001, 12:12 PM
this is why antareus is my lover (even though i use win98)

Fidelio
06-15-2001, 12:12 PM
does that mean I can't bump antareus?

xgalaxy
06-15-2001, 12:42 PM
pump, waiting on that list of services ;)

Norrin
06-15-2001, 01:56 PM
Good God man, you can't call a folder simply "Archive". You should follow standard Microsoft ASS folder naming practice.

May I suggest "My Archive".

Or "My Important Driver File Places".

Zoolooman
06-15-2001, 02:11 PM
Good God man, you can't call a folder simply "Archive". You should follow standard Microsoft ASS folder naming practice.

May I suggest "My Archive".

Or "My Important Driver File Places".

:rofl:

antareus
06-15-2001, 10:26 PM
Bump, services tweak guide is up.

Theta
06-15-2001, 11:14 PM
I love you antareus.

:sex:

Theta
06-15-2001, 11:21 PM
l33t, had 58 MB of RAM used at startup, now only 45 MB :o

Theta
06-15-2001, 11:31 PM
*bump*

DiB
06-15-2001, 11:48 PM
You can still get rid of more services.

Etriganus
06-16-2001, 01:22 AM
I did all that stuff and tribes 2 still runs SOOOOOOOOOOO much better on windowsME... Im talking HUGELY better

Anguish
06-16-2001, 05:00 AM
whered you get direct connect 8B?

antareus
06-16-2001, 10:14 AM
More updates, check it out.

carrion
06-16-2001, 12:07 PM
hrm, for some reason after rearranging my services it now takes 2 or 3 minutes to load outlook, instead of the usual 2 seconds. any ideas as to why? and yes, i know outlook is lame :o

06-16-2001, 12:19 PM
Something you may want to add:

Even after enabling DMA, UDMA/66 is still off by default.

http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/win2kmem/udma66on.reg

That reg patch will turn it on.

A few other registry settings [all info ripped from Tweak3d.NET]:

Registry Settings

If you would like to modify any of the following registry settings by hand, they can all be found under the HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session Manager/Memory Management key.

ClearPageFileAtShutdown This setting is a security setting that clears and overwrites the pagefile on your computer during shutdown. This setting will not change the performance of your computer but it will slow the shutdown procedure a bit. However, if you are paranoid about security, this is definitely something to enable.

DisablePagingExecutive -- When enabled, this will disable paging the NT Executive files to the hard disk and force them to remain resident in the RAM. Enabling this setting will increase overall system performance, but it is only recommended for people with 128 MB of RAM or more because of the load that it puts on your system RAM.

IOPageLockLimit -- This is one tweak that you may or may not get anything out of because it has high volume IO file systems in mind. If your computer has a lot of IO traffic it could definitely boost performance substantially. I personally don't recommend you even attempt this tweak unless you have at least 128 MB of RAM, but I will be including 1, 2, and 4 MB registry files for you to play with anyway. Most users will find that they will get significant performance increases with a setting between 8 and 16 MB assuming they have 128 MB of RAM. Systems with even more RAM than that may receive a performance increase with an even higher setting. Windows defaults this setting to 512KB, or 0.5MB.

LargeSystemCache Enabling this setting puts as much of your OS (kernel) in memory at one time as possible. The important thing to remember about this setting is that it is a different system cache from the file system cache (vcache) in Win9x it is actually a cache for your system files. Setting this up gives the kernel all of the extra RAM (minus about 4 MB) that isn't being used by the rest of the system for active file pages (active file pages being the portions of memory being used by other programs running on your system at the same time).

Finally, you can look at http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/win2kmem/7.shtml for a nice list of the services you can turn on/off.

I hope this stuff helps someone. This, combined with a nice Radeon tweaker, has really improved gaming performance in general in Win2k for me.

antareus
06-16-2001, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by carrion
hrm, for some reason after rearranging my services it now takes 2 or 3 minutes to load outlook, instead of the usual 2 seconds. any ideas as to why? and yes, i know outlook is lame :o
Outlook isn't lame, I use it at work :)

Try:
1) Enabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP before loading Outlook.
2) Enabling the Server service before loading Outlook.
3) <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q163/5/76.ASP">Q163576 - XGEN: Changing the RPC Binding Order</A> is a MS KB (knowledge base) article. I had to do this to the systems at work. I put TCP/IP as the very first protocol to try.

Banshee
06-16-2001, 02:20 PM
http://www.wtfiml33t.com/viewarticle.php?artid=34

A nifty article featuring some more win2k tweaking stuff. Covers services to registry tweaks. I recommend :D

antareus
06-16-2001, 02:47 PM
I found out the cause of Outlook and Outlook Express starting slowly. Set Protected Storage to load automatically and you'll be set.

carrion
06-16-2001, 03:14 PM
wow thanks, i tried that at first, but forgot to start the service! regardless, thanks for putting forth the effort to help someone out:)