I really hate formal logic

bEbOp

Veteran X
The informal logic, the type that concerns itself with what is actually being said - that makes sense, I like that.

Formal logic though, how things are being said, in what order, etc. . .

Fuck that. It is completely worthless.

Essentially I guess.

The shit we are doing in class is moods and forms, truth tables, and rules of implication. All of which have to do with where terms are placed in a argument and how they are placed, not what the terms are actually saying.

what are you talking about

what class is this?

it sounds like another bullshit hippy class - communications, sociology, psychology, philosophy.

enjoy.

everyone in america should be forced to take this course. we'd be much better off as a country and foxnews would never have gotten off the ground.

read wittgenstein's philosophical investigations and you should be able to put logicians in their place forever

Its a Phil/Math 110 class called Logic and Critical Thinking.

It's pretty much a BS freshman required course which is supposed to teach forms of argumentation, fallacies, deductive and inductive logic, and informal and formal logic and their rules.

I should have signed up for another Poly Sci class instead of this, it would have been much better for me.

:lol: ... point proven

Its a Phil/Math 110 class called Logic and Critical Thinking.

It's pretty much a BS freshman required course which is supposed to teach forms of argumentation, fallacies, deductive and inductive logic, and informal and formal logic and their rules.

I should have signed up for another Poly Sci class instead of this, it would have been much better for me.

exactly, you don't need to take a specific philosophical/logic class to figure out how to avoid fallacies or set up a cohesive argument.

simply taking an upper level math class will teach you more about logic than that bullshit memorization class ever will.

its like ICS majors thinking they are actually learning difficult concepts.

The informal logic, the type that concerns itself with what is actually being said - that makes sense, I like that.

Formal logic though, how things are being said, in what order, etc. . .

Fuck that. It is completely worthless.

I mostly agree with this....

everyone in america should be forced to take this course. we'd be much better off as a country and foxnews would never have gotten off the ground.

But then again, I also agree with this.

Ugh, seriously. I'm in games of strategy right now (game theory course), and learning more about deductive logic than this class taught me.

And fuck this for the rest of the night, I'm going to go home and sleep.

that doesn't mean every student needs to take an intro formal logic class

they simply need to stop being idiots and take real courses

All babies are illogical.
Nobody is despised who can manage a crocodile.
Illogical persons are despised.
Therefore, anyone who can manage a crocodile is not a baby.

No interesting poems are unpopular among people of real taste.
No modern poetry is free from affectation.
All your poems are on the subject of soap-bubbles.
No affected poetry is popular among people of real taste.
No ancient poem is on the subject of soap-bubbles.
Therefore, your poetry is not interesting.

Back