Fahrenheit vs Celsius

Master_01

Veteran XV
After having a conversation where I had to figure out what a certain temperature was from Fahrenheit to Celsius. I decided to find out what the basis of Fahrenheit was or how Fahrenheit was devised since Celsius is based on the freezing and boiling point of water.

Apparently the 0 point of Fahrenheit was determined by placing a thermometer in a mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride. Then by placing a thermometer in a mixture of ice and water...Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit decided that point would be 32 degrees.

Afterwards he either made up a guess number or used his two points and measured his body temperature and called that his 3rd point.

"Throughout the world, except in the U.S. and a few other countries (for example, Belize [14]), the Celsius temperature scale is used for practically all purposes."

"Almost the entire scientific world and most engineering fields, especially high-tech ones, use the Celsius scale."

Now I think I know why Fahrenheit wasn't drilled into my brain at school.

Why does the US still use Fahrenheit?

Cliffs:
Researched origins of Fahrenheit.
Basis of Fahrenheit made with chemicals and confusing numbers.
Celsius based on freezing and boiling point of water.
wtf?

Basis of Fahrenheit is on human body temp, and was established very very long ago, and is amazing it was almost right.

Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (24 May 1686 – 16 September 1736) was a German physicist

Anders Celsius (November 27, 1701 – April 25, 1744) was a Swedish astronomer

kelvin is pretty dumb to use outside a scientific premise

"it's gonna be 298 degrees outside today"

"this was the coldest winter in years with temperatures reaching as low as 240 kelvin"

Back