I feel screwed by financial aid

So I am trying to start school. Tuition will be ~$5500 a year. I got accepted for unsubsidized loans for $3500 a year, but no subsidized loans because my parents make like $150k a year, but they won't pay for my school :(.

So there is 2k that needs to be covered for school. I could pay this but it would use up pretty much all of my savings. Is there anyway for me to get some subsidized loans?

So they have at least 18 years and 9 months to plan for this and come up with $0? Who is screwing you over again?

soulman.jpg

So they have at least 18 years and 9 months to plan for this and come up with $0? Who is screwing you over again?

you would be surprised how hard it is to get people to put money in a college savings plan even though they are pretty sure their kids are going to need it later.

It's bad enough trying to get the late 20s-35 crowd to start an IRA much less a 529. They're all still too busy drinking away their savings each weekend and before they know it BAM mid 40s and their kids are like WTF where is teh monies.

Of course it's perfectly acceptable for someone to work through college with the loans that are available. In the long run I think it's better if the parents help simply because in general it helps their kids get a jump start financially. There is such a thing as too much help which ends up causing dependence.

you should be able to find a part time job that gives scholarships and works around your schedule. I think home depot pays like $14 an hour and gives $3-5k scholarships for part time students after you work there for like 4 months

then again, i always look back fondly on the time before sig lines, when people would have trick sentences at the end of their posts

Pretty much agreed on this. I am going to talk to them this weekend about it more, but they are not obligated to give/lend me money and if they won't it sucks that financial aid won't help more.

Pretty much agreed on this. I am going to talk to them this weekend about it more, but they are not obligated to give/lend me money and if they won't it sucks that financial aid won't help more.

Do some reading up on "Independent override" and see if you qualify. Also talk to some Sr students who might be in your situation and have already navigated all of this.

you should be able to find a part time job that gives scholarships and works around your schedule. I think home depot pays like $14 an hour and gives $3-5k scholarships for part time students after you work there for like 4 months

then again, i always look back fondly on the time before sig lines, when people would have trick sentences at the end of their posts

I have a full-time job right now and but I my company is very funny about tuition reimburstment. It is hard to get in the program and you have to be here atleast a year. I will be doing this for next semester hopefully. But the 3500 in unsubsidized loans is paid out in two 1750 increments so I can only use 1750 of it for the 2800 due this semester even though I probably won't the other 1750 :(

Back