Fungiphobia

MolimOrion

Veteran XV
Have been getting into mushroom identification for a couple years now, logically after trees, and other plants. Recently joined the Oregon Mycological Society, and have been out hunting morels for a couple weeks now.

Pretty much all the books I've read at some point reference fungiphobia, and they usually imply this plagues Britain and the US mostly. In Italy, Russia, and alot of Asian countries, they do not seem to have this fungiphobia.

Do you have fungiphobia ?

Any theories on how folks became so afraid of mushrooms in certain geographical areas ?

Alot of plants are poisonous, especially many plants with round berries. Folks learn to ID plants to make sure they don't eat poisonous ones. Folks in the non-fungiphobic countries learn to ID mushrooms, to make sure they don't eat poisonous ones.

If I mention to folks that I am going huckleberry hunting, they say good luck, and sometimes mention how much they like huckleberries. But if I mention to folks I am going mushroom hunting, more times than not, it devolves into a liver-failure conversation, with alot of obvious phobia coming out. But you could just as easily eat a poisonous lookalike berry as you could a poisonous mushroom.

Just curious, because I'm certain I was also raised with this fungiphobia. Not sure why, or if it goes back to folkstories. Have mushrooms always got a bad rap similar to snakes ? Alot of religions have used snakes in their stories to imply evil/temptation....not sure why they chose them either.

I dont think I'd call it a phobia, but I was always taught if you cant ID them then dont eat them, which I cant so I dont.

what the fuck are you talking about.

You just went WAY over my head.

Umm which part ?

Cliffs:

People are scared of picking and eating the fruits of mycelium (mushrooms)
People are not scared of picking and eating the fruits of plants
You run the risk of eating a poisonous fruit, regardless of if that fruit comes from a chlorophyll containing plant or from mycelium.
Why the difference ?

Hope that was easier to understand :)

i don't think wild mushrooms would taste all that good to begin with...

IMO, they certainly taste better than the button/portobello (these are actually the same species) mushrooms you buy in the store.

Chanterelles and morels are far better...but I guess you have to like the way mushrooms taste in the first place. I've always loved the way mushrooms taste.

it's probably due to the fact that you grow up being told not to touch them cause they'll kill you.

Right I agree, but the question is why are we told that ?

You are not told "Don't pick any berries because they'll kill you", but rather "If it looks like a raspberry, then you can eat it", except if you are in Alaska, there's one that looks like a raspberry that can kill you.

There are similar rules for certain mushrooms, and you just need to learn to properly ID them, just as you should be learning with berries.

zprotoss brought up a point I hadn't pondered before. The taste. There are some sweet tasting mushrooms, but most are probably not sweet. Berries are sweet, and people like sweet. Maybe it is worth the risk of eating a poisonous berry because the reward is sweeter than with a mushroom. But I'd bet alot of Italians, Russians, and Asians in general would disagree, as these folks really, really like their mushrooms.

I spend as much time outdoors as I can in the summer. There are really some cool fucking fungus and mushrooms around.

Never gotten into identifying them, cause I'd imagine it's just neverending how much info is out there, but I do think they are pretty cool.

When I was a kid, we found some glow-in-the-dark fungus that was really cool, and we have those foot wide puffballs around here which are very neat too.

here's some random pics I've gotten while geocaching or hiking:

DSCF5945.JPG.jpg

DSCF5964.JPG.jpg

DSCF6299.JPG.jpg

DSC01703.JPG.jpg

Back