t-533402 [paintball] Anyone here Paintball? [Flat] - TribalWar Forums

[paintball] Anyone here Paintball?

Holiday
03-21-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm looking to get into paintball this summer and maybe hop in some tournaments. I played last summer with a tippman 98 and I'm looking into getting a better marker (around the 250 dollar price range) in a few months. I've been looking at the Smartparts Ion XE, Proto Rail, and the Proto SLG. Has anyone had an experience with em at all? I've tried reading the pbnation forums but they're full of jackass fanboys who can't give a straight technical answer.

Shadow(of)Death
03-21-2008, 10:14 PM
The late 90's are a decade behind us.

LostDuck
03-21-2008, 10:14 PM
I think Skeletor666 was/is into it big time...but he is currently on his honeymoon in Europe. Not sure when he is returning.

VonTed
03-21-2008, 10:15 PM
I've got an A-5 and gear I'd be more than willing to part with (for a price :brows: )

Shadow(of)Death
03-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Real Action Paintball (http://www.rap4.com)

Use to be into that and help run the website.

Redvan
03-22-2008, 05:45 AM
what do you want to play? woods or speed? tippy's suck now... (*cough* have sucked since '04ish, or whenever they were bought by an insurance company...) customer support down the drain. Kingman makes some nice woods stuff... IONs suck, you'll run into many a problem with them. Proto rails aren't shabby... I've heard good things of the Proto SLG as well....

personally, i have 2 Gen-E Matrixes, and a Spyder TL+.

If you only have 250 to spend on a whole set up.... plan on spending more. Nothing out there good for that price. If you plan on that price for the gun only, then you can get away with it.

fek, ebay it and get a Proto Matrix 5 or so, or a DM4... stay away from the DM6 though... my friend had one and only played with it 2 times and had to send it to the shop 5 times.... still haven't figured out the math on that yet myself...

here, i did all the work for you:
Generation E Matrix LCD Electro Paintball Gun Dye DM3 - eBay (item 350037048734 end time Mar-25-08 11:48:36 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Generation-E-Matrix-LCD-Electro-Paintball-Gun-Dye-DM3_W0QQitemZ350037048734 QQihZ022QQcategoryZ16048Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem)

just buy that, or i will. I got one of those for $330 a 1 1/2 years ago....

seriously, the Gen-E Matrix is perhaps the sweetest gun out there. Old school, and fast. You can also upgrade them quite a bit. I'd never trade either of my 2 matrixes for anything.

other than that, you'd need HPA (Crossfire 68/4500 low pressure), and a Halo B minimum.

$190 ish for the HPA, $100 ish for the loader.

Barrel kits are nice too, but not necessary immediatly if you do get a matrix, stock barrel on a matrix is nice. I'd recommend J&J Edge or Empire Barrel kits. Smart Parts Freak kits have inserts that used to break alot, not sure how durable they are now, one of my friends that plays division 3 and owns a pb store in town says they are more durable now, so i'd trust that.

perhaps i will bid on that... that's a beauty...

i'll also warn you: sniper barrels do nothing. Longest you should go is 14". Rifling doesn't do anything either.

/paintball knowledge dump. let me know if you have any other questions. i'm only in town for a few more days though. :)

aScotiA
03-22-2008, 05:48 AM
did skeletor get merried again?

Devil Slayer
03-22-2008, 05:50 AM
I played competitively for 4 years, had a pretty decent team. Started playing AM, got sponsors the whole deal.

If you have any questions, I can probably answer most of them.

edit: and for that price, the ion is basically your only option. However if you can afford it, i'd go bigger. Get yourself a timmy or something.

sheeptaur
03-22-2008, 06:15 AM
i played for like 4 years...in hs.

frozen-rain
03-22-2008, 07:15 AM
Spry paintballed

shitwizard
03-22-2008, 07:33 AM
I also have played paintball for a few years, played in a few World Cups at the amateur level down in Orlando, local tournaments in the area so on so forth.

It's fun, but can get expensive as a hobby. Paint, air fees, field fees so on so forth but is extremely fun.

What Devil Slayer said is a true, go for a entry level electronic marker but I'd look around on eBay for a timmy (Intimidator), if it has a few upgrades, like a board, barrel jump on it.

Research first on what you're going to buy as far as markers go, loaders, air systems before you purchase.

coombz
03-22-2008, 08:05 AM
if you want to play tourneys be prepared to spend a bit more money

you can get a high end marker secondhand for the same price as you'd spend on a brand new Proto Rail or similar (which would probably just break a lot and piss you off, and if you enjoyed playing tourney's you'd just want a better one anyway)

you can get 2nd hand timmy's extremely cheap these days (as ****wizard said) and they kick ass