Portishead - Third

My review:

Ok, my mind is successfuly blown. Any ounce of an idea of what you think this album sounds like... completely throw it out the window. Portishead has pulled a Radiohead with what they did with Kid A. This album is completely out there. Unconventional in so many ways. Extremely raw, dirty, and at times a bit sloppy. It's not your average perfect and over-produced sound. Gone is the typical Trip Hop style that Portishead has always adapted. No more turn tables. No more electronic beats, except for a few here and there. Accoustic drums with tons of effects added to them. Speaking of effects, the album is full of them. It is very psychadelic and definatly something that you would greatly enjoy if you were on some crazy drugs. The album sounds avant garde, progressive and indie. I fucking love it! If you are stuck on conventional verse/chorus song structures and catchy melodies and such... you will not like this album. Alot of people will not like how different it sounds. I think it is a bold move. A risk. A very successfull one. I'm so happy that it doesn't sound exactly like their old stuff. While I love Portishead's sound, I respect a band even more when they are able to go in completely new directions.

This is one of those albums that you have to listen to a tun before you "get it". I always know that albums like that are amazing right from the start. This is right up there with Aenima, Kid A, The Fragile, and Thirteenth Step as the type of album that takes your mind for spins in so many different directions and you wont recover until months later after listening to the album non stop in your car every day.

Well done Portishead. Well done.

I love Portishead, but find your review totally lame.

Now I'm conflicted.

Ah... sorry for that. I in no way consider myself to know music better than anyone else, I was just trying to describe it in my own words. I do listen to alot of music, but no... I don't think I'm one of those people who thinks they know everything about music.

I saw this on a rapidshare blog earlier and considered dling it, but i've never really been into trip hop. Now i'm definitely going to check it out ...and it's okay to be indie sometimes.

I like Portishead. Never been the biggest fan, but I am definitely interested to hear this album. Will Waffle asap.

Back