Anyone do rental properties?

JuggerNaught

Contributor
Veteran XX
I'm about to move back up to ohio and i'm looking at buying a couple rental properties up there, anyone renting out a place that could give tips that dont have to do with water filters for aidswater or extra ac units?

We have a few timeshares, and two.. soon to be three rentals.

Not sure what advice beyond common sense you are looking for.

So, do you need help with being evicted?

Because I can halp you with that.

Seriously, I can hook you up with some people who have places available....just depends on where in Ohio though.

So, where you movin? I'll PM you the info.

So, do you need help with being evicted?

Because I can halp you with that.

Seriously, I can hook you up with some people who have places available....just depends on where in Ohio though.

So, where you movin? I'll PM you the info.

I'm looking around sw ohio, primarily dayton. I've already found 2 units that I like up there.

I talked to a couple guys down here that do rentals and they say the best thing i can do is background checks and to let the prospective renters know that i do background checks. they say that weeds out about 70% of the people right there and usually gets you pretty good renters

I'm buying a house on Tuesday for just under 16k...3 bed, garage, full basement, fenced yard. Paint and carpet and its done. :)

whats your biggest problems you run into?

Biggest problem is buying too expensive.
2nd problem is holding costs.
3rd problem are tenants.
4th problem is...there are no other problems.

I would not really consider them problems, more of expected situations.

Instead of talking about the issues I can tell you how to avoid them, which is more useful anyway.

1. Always have a detailed list of what assets are in the abode, their condition, and the general structural conditions before leasing it out. You need a boiler plate to go from when you start the proccess so that any damage or repair is understood, much like when you walkthrough an apartment. Do the walkthrough WITH the tenants, don't have them hand you a form.

2. Screen very very carefully. I don't give two flying fucks if it seems racist,sexist,anti-furry. If you don't get a good vibe do not rent to them. Keep in mind you are handing your EQUITY to a stranger.

3. Anytime you see late payments fucking kick them the fuck out. The Mr. Niceguy thing will get you raped. Just tell them to pack their shit and go.

The one i'm looking at in dayton is 50k, victorian duplex 3/2 units, just been rehabbed, 2 car unattatched garage. the garage is so-so, the house looks pretty good

theres another in greenville for 36k but renting it may be a bit harder because greenville is a fairly small town

Good avice there Killjoy. Sounds like you're a slumlord too.

Jugg> Small towns are not a problem. They are actually better than large ones.
Try and stay away from the already rehabbed properties. You know for sure you can always do better.

KJ, do you use a property management company? What kinda profit margin do you make per house over what the mortage is?

well I would never invest in a place that

1. I have not lived in
2. I do not know the full history or recent history of(see 1)

if you are looking at loose property you are better off buying it outright, fixing it up, and flipping it.

Killjoy pretty much summed it up. My father has a rental in Ohio. The guy renting it is a quality tenant. There aren't really any problems.

Good avice there Killjoy. Sounds like you're a slumlord too.

Jugg> Small towns are not a problem. They are actually better than large ones.
Try and stay away from the already rehabbed properties. You know for sure you can always do better.

slumlord of beachfront high end property?

look, it doesn't matter, there is human trash at every level, you would be suprised what "nice" people in "stable" relationships can do to a property

well I would never invest in a place that

1. I have not lived in
2. I do not know the full history or recent history of(see 1)

if you are looking at loose property you are better off buying it outright, fixing it up, and flipping it.

i'm planning on living in half of it to begin with. for a while atleast.

What the heck? Where can you find a property for under 100k? Around here you are looking at 140+ easily for a decent townhome!

ohio is full of them, as is michigan

I love michigan. It's grrrreat! I buy another property in 2 weeks for 1300 bucks. I'll have pictures shortly. :)
ImageShack - Hosting :: 120scarollina002sz2.jpg
my.php

Back