Anyone have experience being a private tutor?

hyung

Veteran XX
I've been looking around for some extra hours, and I've had some experience working with kids and tutoring (at schools and such) but never one-on-one. Is it a cushy job? Easy?

I'm talking about general advertisements like this:
Math Tutor Needed
Reply to: job-566598041@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-02-07, 3:33PM HST

Need a math tutor to help my 17 year old son. Afternoon, evenings and weekends preferable. Please reply with qualifications, previous experience, location and rates. Thank you.

what kind of rates would you charge? $10?

553px-Lol_que.jpg

I've been looking around for some extra hours, and I've had some experience working with kids and tutoring (at schools and such) but never one-on-one. Is it a cushy job? Easy?

I'm talking about general advertisements like this:

what kind of rates would you charge? $10?

Tutors are expensive. A coworker of mine that tutors charges $40/hour (bear in mind it's only a couple hours a week, but still).

$30/hr for English tutoring. I'm employed by my school's writing center and have done a little private work on the side.

Edit: It's easy if you know what you're doing and your students are willing to listen to and work with you.

$30/hr for English tutoring. I'm employed by my school's writing center and have done a little private work on the side.

Edit: It's easy if you know what you're doing and your students are willing to listen to and work with you.

i'm more interested in your private work, what kind of experience did you have going in?

what year student are you/what major? what are you doing with your school's writing center

i'm working on campus tutoring calc but i'm only getting 9.50, its a bullshit tutoring job really.

Yes, I am a private tutor for math and sciences. If you have no experience, something low like 20-25 bucks is probably acceptable. 10 dollars is ridiculously cheap for private in home tutoring. The more experience you have, the more you charge. Degrees/teaching/etc. you can easily charge 40 bucks and get away with it.

i'm teaching on campus, so i didn't expect much, i'm just wondering what kind of experience you need to apply for a home tutoring job

what about for a kid who's still in school?

lol

its the one place where

you can get chicks and you don't have to hit on them

and if you do hit on them it still works

but that's why i took a college tutoring job, not a high school one. but i have been enlightened that people make nearly $30/hr working at schools or at homes.

Back