Vista Installation problems

|Blitzkrieg|

Veteran XX
I've been running Vista since it was released, and love it. Couple weeks ago I spent a chunk of my tax return on a serious computer upgrade, so I wanted to fresh install Vista once everything was installed. Unfortunately, I've run into a little issue...

It seems with my new setup, Vista refuses to install properly. Sometimes it hangs immediately after loading setup files. Sometimes it goes through installation and BSOD's as the installation is completing. When I run the Repair function on the install CD, it helpfully informs me it can't repair anything though its not really sure why.

The first time it occured, the BSOD was a physical memory dump. The rest of the crashes were either too quick to read, or showed no BSOD at all.

After reading some support posts on other forums, I tried a variety of things to fix the problem. First I tried removing one of my sticks of RAM (I'd read of problems installing Vista with 4 or more GB of RAM). Second I tried removing my second video card (read of nVidia driver issues during installation). Third I tried moving my HDD to an SATA port (its IDE, but my room-mate has an IDE to SATA adapter). I also tried variations on all of those (SATA, 1 stick of RAM, with 2nd video card. SATA, 2 sticks of RAM, no 2nd video card. Etc). In the end, nothing worked.

I've installed XP for the first time in a year, and it installed flawlessly. I've been playing WoW since everything was updated and installed, with no problems whatsoever. No memory dumps, no crashes, nothing.

Any ideas, TW? Honestly, I'm partially stuck just trying to figure out what search terms to use on Microsoft's knowledge base in order to find pertinent information!

Back