Best system for 24/7 use

Im looking for a basic computer system with either win xp or linux installed, it doesnt need to have anything fancy and basically be very cheap. It will run 24/7 with some checkup tools, etc. Energy usage / heat / noise also need to be low. So what would be best to use?

- laptop
- barebone system
- cheapass pc
- ???

Orginally I was planning to use an asus eeepc for that but its currently a pain to get and I would need a 2nd monitor anyway because the display is so small. it doesnt need to be mobile though.

for 24/7 computing, a laptop is definitely a bad choice, they can't ventilate that well. and, if you're shooting for cheapness, a desktop can't be beat.

I run whatever I got 24/7

I never really put much thought into it

the cases (which I think is probably the most important factor here) are both antecs.. one is that big huge file server case everyone and their mom has, the one alienware stole for its pcs, and the other is the p180

question is if I can install a normal os like ubuntu, debian, suse, whatever on it? also I need to connect usb stuff like webcam to it

usb support won't be a problem
As far as the brand of linux it has I doubt that will beable to be altered much. Read up though I am sure there is something that fits your niche

yeah thanks for the tipp, ill look into it, although I have the fear that its power wont be enough, since I will also use the system for browsing/mp3, not as main task but it should be able to do that.

I built a gaming PC... 680i, 2 gigs of ram 2.4 core 2 duo, 8800 gts 640, 500 watt PS. In a Full ATX, with ample cooling.

My uptime now is something like 2 months running win xp pro corp.

DO NOT GET A LAPTOP, that is if you want something with constant uptime.

Back