[Northfield]I'm not an Al Franken fan by any stretch of the imagination...

guard|an

Veteran X
But making fun of the only Republican that goes to Carleton college is pretty damn funny.

Franken apparently had more fun than senior history major Peter Fritz.

According to Fritz, things started out fine with him taking photos of fellow Carls (that's what students call themselves) with Franken. Then Franken's curiosity was raised about why Fritz didn't want to be in a pic.

He's a conservative, another Carl yelled out by way of explanation.

At that point, Franken reportedly began peppering Fritz with questions about supporting President George W. Bush and former President Ronald Reagan's tax hikes. Fritz told me he got tense and, as he does in those situations, started chewing the inside of his mouth, a gesture he said was mimicked by Franken; Fritz also thought his style of speech was mocked by Franken.

An aide eventually interrupted Franken's act, Fritz said, by announcing to the candidate that it was time to go.

Fritz told me Monday that he then stuck out his hand to shake Franken's. "Well, at least it's nice to meet you," the GOPer said he told Franken, who reportedly replied, I can't say the same.

There was no handshake, said Fritz.

C.J.: Franken didn't exactly leave 'em laughing in Northfield

p.s. I went to high school in that town with oDDable.

Everyone expects politicians to tell them what they want to hear and are surprised when the politician basically says "I don't like you". Why the surprise?

Seemed like a dickish way of acting, but I guess typical of the type who are smart and a satarist with a heartfelt interest hot button subjects like Politics. They appear funny and are good entertainment so long as they don't turn their talents against a subject you believe in... then they're just assholes.

lol

I liked when Bill Clinton was there for graduation and some "womens lib" chicks wouldn't shake his hand cause he got a BJ from a chubby intern. One of them even spit at his feet.

Everyone expects politicians to tell them what they want to hear and are surprised when the politician basically says "I don't like you". Why the surprise?

politicians work for us, not the other way around

politicians who mouth off at "the boss" should expect to get fucking fired

Back